Breeding a cockerel to a Hen is a struggle!

britesidefarm

Songster
May 22, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA
I’m attempting at breeding a PR hen around 5 years old to an EE cockerel near 13 weeks of age. I’ve put them in a small coop together with two other hens to keep them company, and she keeps pecking at him. I was expecting her too, but it’s been about 18 hours since I first put them together and I’de expect her to stop by now. The other hens treat him kindly, but he’s never crowed or tried to mount them. We have other roosters and I thought that if I were to put him with a few hens by himself he would be fine and start to crow, but he’s just hiding in the corner. Do you know a way I could get them to breed? I was hoping to get some OE from the two.

Don’t think chicken husbandry works that way.
13 weeks is young. He needs time to integrate and be accepted by hens/pullets. Then they have to allow him to mate.

At 13 weeks your cockerel is still a youngster and an old and experienced hen will not accept him until he is much older and has proven to be a good provider and defender of his flock.

So you can stop your attempt and wait for next spring when he will be old enough and might be accepted by the adult hen.

EE cockerel near 13 weeks of age.

I've seen stories of a few cockerels that sired chicks that young--but they are apparently pretty rare. More time would be helpful here.

If you're sure he's mature enough, I suppose you could try artificial insemination. I have never tried it, but I'm pretty sure there are some articles on the internet somewhere.

It's probably easier to just wait a few months. If you want to leave them together, make sure the cage is big enough that he can get away from the hen, and make sure there are enough food and water dishes that he can get enough to eat and drink, even if the hen keeps him away from her favorite dishes.

I’m attempting at breeding a PR hen around 5 years old to an EE cockerel near 13 weeks of age. I’ve put them in a small coop together with two other hens to keep them company, and she keeps pecking at him. I was expecting her too, but it’s been about 18 hours since I first put them together and I’de expect her to stop by now. The other hens treat him kindly, but he’s never crowed or tried to mount them. We have other roosters and I thought that if I were to put him with a few hens by himself he would be fine and start to crow, but he’s just hiding in the corner. Do you know a way I could get them to breed? I was hoping to get some OE from the two.
Even if she would accept him and he can get the job done,
this cross is not going to give you OE's.
50-50 chance the EE will pass down a blue shell gene, and PR brown is pretty light colored so any green eggs will be pretty light colored.
Is she even still laying?
Would think she's molting this time of year, unless you live in the southern hemisphere.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1601638146169.png

Show us a current picture of him. Thirteen weeks is well below the age I can get my chickens to breed (18 weeks I have had matings that appear effective), but 13 weeks is going to be working with a male that is decidedly juvenile in behavior even if he is producing the gametes needed. Hen rejecting such an immature cockerel is very much expected.

Even if she would accept him and he can get the job done,
this cross is not going to give you OE's.
50-50 chance the EE will pass down a blue shell gene, and PR brown is pretty light colored so any green eggs will be pretty light colored.
Is she even still laying?
Would think she's molting this time of year, unless you live in the southern hemisphere.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2356945
I live in Western Washington, and she is molting but is somehow laying through it.:idunnoShe also lays some pretty dark eggs for a PR which is why I wanted to attempt the pair.

Show us a current picture of him. Thirteen weeks is well below the age I can get my chickens to breed (18 weeks I have had matings that appear effective), but 13 weeks is going to be working with a male that is decidedly juvenile in behavior even if he is producing the gametes needed. Hen rejecting such an immature cockerel is very much expected.
He’s been trying to breed with most hens/pullets in the coop and he’s fairly large so he’s also in the same coop.
I only realized he was 13 weeks while writing this thread, when I thought he was nearing 20 😅 so he’s not with her anymore.
A498CCF7-A6C5-47B8-A272-B36F4CDC7838.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom