Breeding a darker Easter Egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenFootRnch, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ChickenFootRnch

ChickenFootRnch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    I was wondering if breeding a Maran Roo with an EE would result in making the offspring lay darker eggs. Or should one use an EE Roo and Maran hen since "egg color" is primarily carried on the male gene? Or am I just all wrong with this one. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    you are partially correct, as the brown egg color is a polygenic trait(many genes at play) and some of those genes may infact be located on the sex chromosome, so its always a safe bet to use a dark egger over a none dark egger hen, just incase this theory is infact correct.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Either way you will get a chicken that lays a brownish-green egg - an "Olive Egger"

4. ChickenFootRnch

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    Follow up Question, In theory puting the dark egger over an Ameracana would give a darker blue egg?

5. ChickenFootRnch

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just enjoy the genitics of chickins and trying to use it to "get what I want". LOL [​IMG]

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I would love to find a chicken that lays a darker blue egg, so will be watching this thread.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope. The brown will dilute the blue, giving you a dark/muddy green. Search "olive eggers" to see what you get with this mix.

8. ChickenFootRnch

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    Thank You I shall do more research!! To the LAB!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by