Breeding a pied call duck with a white call duck

scooter1989

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
I'm getting a pied call drake this weekend and was wondering in the spring if i mate him with a white hen, would they more likely have 25% white, 25% grey, 25% pied and 25% white pied? Also with females will they be more likely to have a pied color if i do this?

Thanks

The issue with breeding to white bird is that they can sometimes mask different recessive genes. Once bred to a different color several different colors could arise.

Well, I notice some of my friends have not had luck for a few years getting a female grey pied out of breeding. I was was wondering if i bred a magpie with a grey, would there be a chance getting a grey female pied?

White is a recessive gene(mostly masks gray)and so is pied so more than likely if it is a gray pied you will get gray split to pied. Most will have faint pied markings...
Couple white wing feathers
Females with neck rings
White on belly

Are they pretty uncommon? What would be a good breeding pair to make pied grey hens and drakes?

I see this is an old post, however I will fill in for future readers. Said posted w the grey pied call drake should have or be breeding him to grey females. Of those offspring keep only the females and breed those to their father, then repeat... Each time the offspring having more of the pied gene and characteristics. Ideally find a breeder of the variety and get a few chicks or started birds..... It should be getting easier for pied to be found as there are a good # of us working on them.... painted feathers farm.webs.com... Painted Feathers Farm on Facebook

Back
Top Bottom