Breeding activity and eggs.

longranger

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
laguna hills CA
This is my first year breeding turkeys. No eggs yet but last summers hens are setting for their males. The toms look like they are getting the job done. Is that a pretty good indicator that the hens are about ready to lay eggs or do they practice for a few months before starting to produce eggs.

march is the month for eggs! here in washington state,breeding dancing should start a month sooner tom

If the females are allowing the males to mate is a matter of days or a week or so before she starts laying eggs.
Most hens will find an out of the way place to lay eggs, so you may have to do a eggs hunt to find them.

Tom

It will probably go from no eggs now to too many in just a few weeks. Still can't wait!!! I am hoping to find some people in southern california that want to preorder a few heritage poults so I can justify incubating more than what I will need for my own consumption. Yay Craigs list. With 3 MW hens, 3 Auburn hens, and 4 hens in a mixed heritage pen my meat and breeder needs will be met quickly. The MW and Auburns each have separate pens.

Quote:
ohhhhhh If you overload that bator and have eggs to spare put them in the auction section!!
I know I woulld be bidding on the MW and Auburns.
there isnt enough breeders selling turkey eggs here on BYC and Ebay people get greedy lol.
just sayin you have other options here besides craigs list.

here on this farm, dancing and gobbling started about a months ago, 3 or 4 weeks later ,I got my first beltsville egg , now i have 8 eggs, none of my colored birds have laid yet, I have 40 laying heritage turkey hens, I have 8 breeds!!! my hens lay about 86/90 eggs a season, and yes I do keep track!!!! I also keep my toms lean for breeding! 10 years raising heritage turkeys sold about 8,500 poults tom!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom