breeding better barring in Welbars, Legbars etc.

Dazed and Confused

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2021
So, we have a few Welbars (in the UK). Some of the hens have a fantastic barring, with clear barred marking through to the tail feathers. Some of the others though are barred, but the feathers are not as clear.

I am hoping to improve the quality of the barred offspring and was wondering if selecting the hens with the best looking barring would make any difference? as far as i know, the barring gene is passed on to the hens from the Rooster, so is it futile breading from the 'best' barred hens when their barring gene isnt passed down to their female offspring?

thanks,

Selecting the hens is beneficial. While hens don’t pass down barring, they pass down many other genes that will modify the barring.

As far as i know, the barring gene is passed on to the hens from the Rooster, so is it futile breading from the 'best' barred hens when their barring gene isnt passed down to their female offspring?

thanks,
They will pass it to their male offspring so sect the best males and breed them back to your best females, that way your males will improve their female offspring in the future

Back
Top Bottom