Breeding Birchen Marans

101atworld

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Marysville Washington
Hello everyone, I have a small flock of Birchen Marans and I was hoping for advice on picking the best rooster for breeding. I’m planning on keeping two, but they’ll be separated from the hens until breeding (so don’t worry about overbreeding). I’m already planning on keeping the blue one pictured below, but which of the other two would be best? I know the second one has some gold dilution but is that better than a lot of white like the third one? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
79118473-8C2A-4BC8-B77D-36C777BD95FE.jpeg

1964035D-77B7-456A-A215-223F26A66CFA.jpeg
F7738973-BB22-48FB-AE26-67C173BBD87A.jpeg

Hello everyone, I have a small flock of Birchen Marans and I was hoping for advice on picking the best rooster for breeding. I’m planning on keeping two, but they’ll be separated from the hens until breeding (so don’t worry about overbreeding). I’m already planning on keeping the blue one pictured below, but which of the other two would be best? I know the second one has some gold dilution but is that better than a lot of white like the third one? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! View attachment 2445631
View attachment 2445636View attachment 2445637
I have one beautiful blue birchen pullet, no experience in choosing roosters, but from what I undertand about the breed standard, your second black one (third photo) looks more correct in color. These birds look young, how old are they? Looks like they still need to fill out a bit. 🙂

Last edited:
I have one beautiful blue birchen pullet, no experience in choosing roosters, but from what I undertand about the breed standard, your second black one (third photo) looks more correct in color. These birds look young, how old are they? Looks like they still need to fill out a bit. 🙂
Oh ok, thanks for the advice! They’re 4 months, so yes they’ll fill out more :)

Personally if youre serious about breeding the birchen pattern I would not use any that show gold leakage.
Thats just gonna keep breeding forward until you get serious about breeding it out.
IMO besides that the last birchen looks better in every way.

Personally if youre serious about breeding the birchen pattern I would not use any that show gold leakage.
Thats just gonna keep breeding forward until you get serious about breeding it out.
IMO besides that the last birchen looks better in every way.
Oh ok. Does the last rooster look better than the first one too?

Back
Top Bottom