Breeding Blue Birchen Marans

I had read something about how lavender coming from blue but maybe it was wrong.
As previously mentioned Lavender(Self Blue) and Blue are two completely separate genes and the way they are inherited is also different.

Unfortunately the similarities of their names and the colors they result in create a lot of confusion.

In regards your comment - It "is" genetically possible for a bird to carry BOTH Lavender and Blue so yes it is quite possible that what you read is correct - but it is generally considered a folly to try to mix the two unless you are an experienced poultry breeder who can tell the subtle differences between them and understand the genetic inheritance patterns.

I have a blue birchen rooster and a blue birchen hen. I bred them together and hatched about 40 eggs altogether. Out of all those eggs the chicks are all black birchens except for one, just ONE splash. I'll keep trying and also incorporate the splash and black birchens when they start laying.

I have a blue birchen rooster and a blue birchen hen. I bred them together and hatched about 40 eggs altogether. Out of all those eggs the chicks are all black birchens except for one, just ONE splash. I'll keep trying and also incorporate the splash and black birchens when they start laying.
If you breed the splash to a black you'll get all blues

Back
Top Bottom