breeding blue laced red wyandotte

cjschickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Can any one tell me what I will get when I breed the hen in pic. 1 to the rooster in pic. 2 ? This hen and roo are my sons pet, and I didn't know if thier offspring would be splash or what. I have a hard time understanding the breeding of these birds !

I recently asked a similar question on the Wyandotte thread and this link was shared with me. It takes a bit to figure out how to use it, but there is a drop down that shows english. You can basically plug in the rooster color and the hen color and it will show you the possible outcomes.

http://www.kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

When I put in a splash rooster over a blr hen I came up with 50% splash and 50% blue.

Hope that helps...I am very new to genetics, so perhaps someone with more knowledge will also reply. :)

Here's the chart:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue , 25% Black , 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue , 50% Splash

Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black

Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Black X Black = 100% Black

Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

These numbers are based on 100 chicks. Results will vary depending on number of chicks raised.

I have a handsome blrw cockerel like yours. Such a sweet bird! Thinking about getting some blrw hens for him at some point so I can have more! I'm curious about the bbs thing, too. Is your hen in the first picture considered black? I'm wondering what that 25% black will look like if I cross two blues. Are they solid or do they keep their lacing? Rookie question, but I have to start somewhere!

Have you been able to produce any offspring from these two or are they still too young? Would love to see pics when you do!

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread! I just got my first BLRW pullets this spring and I'm hooked. They're such sweet, calm & docile birds. I have one that looks like your hen, a splash pullet and one that's a shade in between (light blue) . What color would you consider the posted hen, a blue laced or a black laced?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom