1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding blue Marans- Pics added :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fourgirlsoneboy, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have a pair of blue Marans and the first chick that hatched was splash! So after doing a small amount of reading (because I got some incorrect advice) the fact that I have bbs chicks is normal? Lol, I thought they were all going to be blue (I could NOT figure out that first splash chick-lol!).

Also, I don't hear much about splash Marans, are they just not a 'hot' color? (We have a couple now- we think they are cute!)

The pair we have are the sweetest birds (even the roo [​IMG] )!

Sorry, these pics aren't the greatest [​IMG]

Here are almost 2 week olds (blue, black, coronation)

[​IMG]

One of the 2 week old splashes

[​IMG]

Blue, Black (and a coronation) from our Christmas day hatch [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Perfectly normal. When you breed two blue birds you get 50% blue 25% splash amd 25% black.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I love Splash Copper and Blue Copper Marans. I think that they (splash) tend to be not as popular as the blue, black, blue copper and black copper because they tend to lay a lighter egg than the others. Egg color in the splash birds is a project of mine....I am determined that one day I will get a splash that lays an egg as dark as a black copper. [​IMG]

Pictures.......we love pictures! Ever popped in over in the Marans thread or the Dark Egg Breeds thread? You should....we would love to see you there!

[​IMG]

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

Blue x Blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash

Blue x Splash = 50% blue, 50% splash

Splash x Black = 100% blue

Blue x Black = 50% blue, 50% black

Black x Black = 100% black

Write this down and save it for future references! Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. Fourgirlsoneboy

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    You would think I would have figured that out, because we have bbs cochins and silkies (both splash roos). I was told 2 blues together = all blues. I should have double checked here [​IMG]. Thanks everyone!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The "Coronation " Chick is a Sussex right ?

7. Fourgirlsoneboy

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:Yes, sorry! (Just used it for contrast).

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes, sorry! (Just used it for contrast).

OK , Just making sure. Where did you get your Marans from if you dont mine and do you have any pictures of the eggs? I would be interested in Solid BBS Marans without any copper leakage in them. But I would really love some Solid White Marans

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am one of those that does not care for the splash Marans. I usually sell all my splash chicks but now am planning on seeing how some grow up that I have recently hatched and make a pen for just blue copper offspring.
    I have not ever kept any of my splash long enough to see egg color but I have had blue c. and black c. that weren't up to par either. I am really more about egg color but a lot of people really want blue c. chicks so I try to go where the customers wants and needs are.
    This past year not so many people wanted the black coppers.

Maybe splash is an up coming "hot" color in Marans. [​IMG] They are great birds no matter the color![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by