Breeding blue Runners......

I read Nadine's reply about Ideal's runner ducks. I am new to ducks this year and was wondering why the ducks from Ideal don't really stand up very straight. I'll have to try somewhere else next year. They are hilarious to watch and listen to, though.

Sher Morrow
Roscoe, Tx

Sher--if you want upright runners, order from Holderread Waterfowl Farm. There may be others with great quality birds, but Holderread is the standard by which all others are measured. Order early though--they sell out. Their web address is http://www.holderreadfarm.com and you have to print a form and mail it, but it's worth it. And don't worry about the fact that they are shipping from across the country--you'll still get your birds in outstanding condition and quickly.

Enjoy!

Sher, hatchery ducks are bred for their egg laying and general reproduction skills. Not necessarily for breed standard.

I had a hatchery fawn runner that wasn't very upright at all.
1002440.jpg

That's her in the back.

She was an excellent egg layer though.

Yes, so true on egg laying.
I love my Ideal ducks for their egg laying but the Holderread ducks are top quality and that is what I hope to breed for more Runners. I am not as fond of the total upright position and like a bit of slope to my Runners but want that smooth move they show when running. The Metzer ones are in between but this new drake I have is from Strombergs and is exactly what I wanted in Runner looks and moves.

So far for eggs though, I love my Ideal Runners, though they just don't have the "look".

I plan to cross my new black drake with my Fawn/whts as well as my blues. I will even try a cross with my crested runner from Ideal to see what i will get. What a shame they haven't enough meat for the extra drakes to pin my freezer. But then i will be hatching Pekins and Rouens for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom