Breeding Brahma salmon

If you can get Salmon Faverolles, they should have all the color genes you need.

If you cannot get any salmon colored chickens, you could get those specific genes from other sources:

--silver (found in Light Brahmas and Dark Brahmas, and maybe in some other colors.)

--Mahogany (usually found in chickens with a dark red color, such as Rhode Island Reds.)

--Autosomal Red (the red that can appear in a silver-based chicken. That one may be in some gold chickens, and you would find out if you started crossing them with ones that have silver. Or maybe you could find some Silver Duckwing chickens, and pick the females with the strongest salmon color in their breast.)

If you need to bring in color genes from other breeds, of course you will take time and lots of breeding work to get your birds back to a proper Brahma type.
Thank you very much!

If you can get Salmon Faverolles, they should have all the color genes you need.

If you cannot get any salmon colored chickens, you could get those specific genes from other sources:

--silver (found in Light Brahmas and Dark Brahmas, and maybe in some other colors.)

--Mahogany (usually found in chickens with a dark red color, such as Rhode Island Reds.)

--Autosomal Red (the red that can appear in a silver-based chicken. That one may be in some gold chickens, and you would find out if you started crossing them with ones that have silver. Or maybe you could find some Silver Duckwing chickens, and pick the females with the strongest salmon color in their breast.)

If you need to bring in color genes from other breeds, of course you will take time and lots of breeding work to get your birds back to a proper Brahma type.
Wouldn’t you also have to get wheaten?

I'm not entirely sure. The original photo looks like Brahmas with the typical Light Brahma pattern, so using Light Brahmas as a base would presumably give the right e-locus to start from.
Light Brahmas are partridge, not wheaten. The first picture is definitely wheaten based, but I don’t know about the second, the color looks less of a true “salmon.”

Light Brahmas are partridge, not wheaten. The first picture is definitely wheaten based, but I don’t know about the second, the color looks less of a true “salmon.”
In that case, yes they would need wheaten as well.

Hopefully they can find a breed that has that gene as well as some of the other genes that are needed (obvious choice, actual Salmon Faverolles, if available.)

After thinking about it some more, I think all the right genes can be gotten from these two breeds:

Dark Brahma
Rhode Island Red (or similar dark red birds with black tails.)

The Brahmas would contribute Silver, and the genes for feathered feet, pea comb, Brahma body shape, etc. Light Brahmas could do the same, but they have the Columbian gene, which I don't think Salmon Faverolles-type birds should have. So Dark Brahma would be the better choice.

The Rhode Island Reds would have the Wheaten gene at the e-locus, the Mahogany gene, and the gene(s) for austomal red.

Crossing a Brahma rooster to a Rhode Island Red hen should give silver daughters (hopefully showing the salmon color), and sons that show silver and carry gold (and hopefully also look somewhat like salmon.) Interbreeding among those offspring, with some crosses back to Brahma, should be able to make progress toward true-breeding Salmon Brahmas.

After thinking about it some more, I think all the right genes can be gotten from these two breeds:

Dark Brahma
Rhode Island Red (or similar dark red birds with black tails.)

The Brahmas would contribute Silver, and the genes for feathered feet, pea comb, Brahma body shape, etc. Light Brahmas could do the same, but they have the Columbian gene, which I don't think Salmon Faverolles-type birds should have. So Dark Brahma would be the better choice.

The Rhode Island Reds would have the Wheaten gene at the e-locus, the Mahogany gene, and the gene(s) for austomal red.

Crossing a Brahma rooster to a Rhode Island Red hen should give silver daughters (hopefully showing the salmon color), and sons that show silver and carry gold (and hopefully also look somewhat like salmon.) Interbreeding among those offspring, with some crosses back to Brahma, should be able to make progress toward true-breeding Salmon Brahmas.
Buckeyes would likely work just as well as Rhode Island Reds. Since they already have pea combs, that would be one less gene to correct in the offspring. I believe that they're the same as Rhode Island Reds with all other genes, correct me if I'm mistaken. The biggest issue that I can think of would be that they are harder to find than Rhode Island Reds and not a very common breed.

Buckeyes would likely work just as well as Rhode Island Reds. Since they already have pea combs, that would be one less gene to correct in the offspring. I believe that they're the same as Rhode Island Reds with all other genes, correct me if I'm mistaken. The biggest issue that I can think of would be that they are harder to find than Rhode Island Reds and not a very common breed.
True. They are probably harder to find than Faverolles.

Rhode Island Reds are common, so more likely to be available. But yes Buckeyes should work too, and you are right about the comb types.

Back
Top Bottom