Breeding Buff Leghorns

I have a brooder set up for them in case these leghorns don't make the best moms. I have a coop now, and the meterials to start my next coop. I'll have a deadline coming up pretty soon to get this new coop finished now.
1f631.png

I have a brooder set up for them in case these leghorns don't make the best moms. I have a coop now, and the meterials to start my next coop. I'll have a deadline coming up pretty soon to get this new coop finished now.
1f631.png

Deadlines are great incentives! Good luck in getting it done in time! I never heard of an older broody not finishing the task to the very end. With white Legs about 2% go broody and go all the way - rare but it occasionally happens they make dedicated mommas. But better to be on the safe side and be prepared.

I think Ideal Hatchery carries them.

Hi chickenboy100. Hope you're right about Ideal carrying the Buff Legs. Over a week now and their online shopping still wasn't up today. I'm not going to call them as I prefer private breeders anyway. Can't use a boxful of minimum 15 chicks in a city backyard - LOL

I think the creamy colored egg that I assumed was from one of my EE ladies was really from one of the buff leghorns. Everyone of the chicks that I hatched from that cream colored shell came out a buff color.

I think the creamy colored egg that I assumed was from one of my EE ladies was really from one of the buff leghorns. Everyone of the chicks that I hatched from that cream colored shell came out a buff color.

How exciting! So c-u-t-e! So the eggs that the Buff Legs broodied are their own eggs? And the daddy is an EE roo? Wonder if they'll have EE cheeks? That would be so cute! Our Buff Leg lays pinkish colored eggs that look pretty in a carton with the light blue Ameraucana's eggs.

cant be c-u-t-e-r than this naked neck buff chick..

I am not a fan if the naked neck chickens, but this is a great pic!!!

@Sylvester017
These buff colored chicks are not from the broody hens. We built our own incubater, and these chicks were our test run. They hatched on the 9th. The broody girls each have one of those cream colored eggs, along with eggs from my Cockoo Maren hens. So I have a shot at two more. Those ladies are "due" next Monday and Wednesday.
The Daddy is the EE Roo. This guy.

If I breed a Roo from this batch back to my first gen. Buff Leghorn ladies would their offspring be considered Buff Leghorns?

Last edited:
I am not a fan if the naked neck chickens, but this is a great pic!!!

@Sylvester017
These buff colored chicks are not from the broody hens. We built our own incubater, and these chicks were our test run. They hatched on the 9th. The broody girls each have one of those cream colored eggs, along with eggs from my Cockoo Maren hens. So I have a shot at two more. Those ladies are "due" next Monday and Wednesday.
The Daddy is the EE Roo. This guy.

If I breed a Roo from this batch back to my first gen. Buff Leghorn ladies would their offspring be considered Buff Leghorns?
You might check the genetics breeding threads on BYC or check with Danne Honour on this Buff Leghorn thread (a few posts backward on here) and ask him. I think it would take several generations to completely get the EE characteristics to get bred out before it can be considered a Buff Leghorn.

And where did you get that gorgeous EE roo !

A breeder friend of mine said her Ameraucana and Buff Leghorn cross bred and didn't know what the chicks were going to be like. I told her they would either be bearded Leghorns that layed blue eggs or Ameraucanas that layed white eggs - LOL She usually processes the mixed breeds since she only shows SQ birds and sells a few pure breeds. The cross mixes or PQs are either sent to free homes or meat for the table.

If you back cross to pure Buff Leghorns enough generations you might get back to Buff Leghorns.This is usually done through the pure males until they are 15/16 Buff Leghorns.A long process and with this cross you have so many things to eliminate,slate legs,breards,blue egg shells,pea comb,red and dominant white.I would not bother,but scrap it and start over with pures.

Back
Top Bottom