Breeding Buff Leghorns

Awesome. Look forward to seeing results.
That hatch I pictured ended up 40 out of 43 hatching, which is pretty decent. Hoping to get a couple decent ones. This part of the country we don't see many in the showroom. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

X2 - the breed has so much beauty, utility, and calm temperament above and beyond just being another breed to save just for the sake of saving. A really good all-round breed. Easy on the eyes, easy on the feed bill, good on the production, easy-going in the flock, and calm enough to be pets. LOVE this variety!

So thrilled to see these little Buff babies with someone perpetuating and perfecting this uncommonly rare breed! I love my calm gentle Buff and wish I could have more like her in my city zone.

They are wonderful!!! And mine have always made good pets after a bit of taming down
That hatch I pictured ended up 40 out of 43 hatching, which is pretty decent. Hoping to get a couple decent ones. This part of the country we don't see many in the showroom. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
NICE!!! I wish we had the room to hatch 40!!! I am the only person to breed Buffs in our county, the only other person that has them that I know of is a friend of ours whom got some of mine for egg layers.

They are wonderful!!! And mine have always made good pets after a bit of taming down
NICE!!! I wish we had the room to hatch 40!!! I am the only person to breed Buffs in our county, the only other person that has them that I know of is a friend of ours whom got some of mine for egg layers.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I got two Buff Leghorn pullets from a breeder who got their stock from Danne Honour. I feel like I hit the jackpot to get Honour line/strain. He says he got the tint out of the egg shell now but my birds are older and still laying the tinted pink but I personally like the pink as it looks appropriate next to the blue APA Ameracauna eggs. Buffs are a dynamo layer when not taking time off for winter and moulting. I love the calmer temperament from the White or Brown Legs. A very beautiful graceful bird.

Where y'all getting your original breeding stock from?

Just wanted to share a couple pics of my hatchery buff leghorns. These ladies both went broody in the same week!

Just wanted to share a couple pics of my hatchery buff leghorns. These ladies both went broody in the same week!

I didn't know there were any hatcheries left selling Buff Legs. This year I couldn't find any hatchery that planned to continue them and Sandhill Preservation lost their breeders to Buffalo Gnats - so sad. There are still a few private quality breeders thank goodness.

That's unusual to see - broody Legs! How old are they? The top picture girl looks like Wheaten coloring more than Buff. They are really fluffed up on their nests. Are they actually setting on their own fertile eggs or are they setting an empty nest? If they are setting their own fertile eggs is the roo also a Buff Leg? I'm asking because I'd love to see posted photos of purebred Buff chicks.

My Buff Legs don't have the big flop-over Foghorn Leghorn comb but more of a medium comb with just a tilt at the top spikes. I had a White Leg that had a huge flop-over comb that obstructed her vision so she was skittish. This new Buff Leg we have doesn't have vision obstruction from a big comb so she is less skittish, tamer, and calmer.

I did get mine from Ideal. At the time is only wanted hens for the eggs, so no rooster pair for them. They are two years old now. Right now they are sitting eggs from other girls. Mostly EE and EE over Cockoo Maren. (Only have one EE Roo) Someday it would be awesome to breed such a rare group!

I think Ideal Hatchery carries them.

I checked all the main hatcheries and though some had listed Buff Leghorn there was tiny fine print that they were out of stock or had no plans in future to carry them. Maybe since my last search Ideal may be carrying them although I just went on their website today and the online shopping feature has been down all day. Anyway, I can't order a bunch of chicks for minimum order so I always go through a private breeder who will ship one or two juveniles instead of a boxload of chicks LOL

The top girl is sitting on 5 eggs. The girl on the lower pic is sitting on 10.

That is a LOT of eggs those Buffs are sitting on. I assume you have the room for all those chicks LOL Sounds like you will be getting some Olive Eggers mixing an EE roo with CM?

Back
Top Bottom