Breeding Buff Leghorns

So I bought this pair recently and I was told they were Buff Leghorns... But when I researched the breed I found that they were pretty rare. So just to make sure I wanted to post this here... So what do you think? Are they really?

Last edited:

Yes, they are Buff Leghorns, not perfect, but very nice. I didn't know there were any this good around this area, (especially just on the other side of the mountain from me.

Sorry:, I don't have any at all. I'm looking myself. But we should get in touch-would work with you. (I had some good ones years ago.)

Oh alright sounds good! I want to hatch some chicks, but I'm really new to the whole chicken thing. (These are my first two,ever.) I've been reading a lot on here though and there's a lot of helpful information.

I am in Waynesville NC. My email is [email protected] I suggest you show your Buff Leghorns at the Knoxville show this December. I would enjoy seeing them. There is also a show in Newport. As I said, I had Buff Leghorns years ago, and I just found this thread, so I don't know what is out there in Buff bantams, but it sounds like there may be some good ones out there. As you can see from the posts, buff is somewhat difficult, but worth the effort. If we could cross with White Leghorn it would be easy to produce good type buffs, because there are some white leghorns with real good type. But, in my opinion white leghorn cannot be used because it is dominant white, and is very difficult to get out of a buff bird. My suggestion is to get the best birds you can and then stick to working to improve them. You will be helping the breed-variety, yourself, and other breeders. It seems most of us have a tendency to get overstocked with chickens, and this results in losing some of the good ones because of overcrowding, discouragement, and such things. Mostly, my chickens will be Dutch bantams. I am older now and don't have the time required to cross buff with this or that. Just though I might like to have a few leghorns to look at.

I have been raising chickens for many years. Would be glad to share anything I know, but you can learn much right here on this website. This year I raised some golden and yellow golden pheasants. I have been amazed how easy they have been to raise (so far???). I have 55 living young 2013 pheasants out of 4 pairs of breeders. That seems pretty good to me (hope that doesn't change).

Okay I might just do that! The guy I got them from said he bought them at a flea market in Newport.. So maybe there would be others there as well! I want to buy more of them, but they're just so hard to find! Can you breed the offspring back to the parents? Like daughter/father or mother/son? I'm still a teenager so hopefully I'll have plenty of time to help the breed haha. And wow that is pretty good! Good luck!!

Good to see your interest in the fancy. Since you purchased them locally, I wonder if they could be descendants of the ones I had. I am anxious to see them at the show. Yes, you can breed father to daughter or mother to son. This is what breeders do to produce uniformity in their birds. It does eventually lead to decreased vigor, but you can take those two birds and make a flock. I understand that it is not best to breed full brothers and sisters together. I have found that serious breeders keep more than one "family" group of the same breed and variety. That way they can bring in new blood without bringing in characteristics they don't want.

Also, things are different now than years ago, adult birds can now be shipped through the postal service. And with the internet, I'm sure we can find you enough good birds to give you a good start.

Back
Top Bottom