Breeding Buff Leghorns

The son appears very even in color. In general the legs could be longer or thighs longer. The wings could be held up more level.Not a bad start.
Thanks Dan..

Did the legs / thighs look correct in the dad or were they on the short side too?

The wings look to be about what they were on dad. I have several daughters from the dad. I will keep my eyes open for the one or two with the highest wing set and I will look at the younger cockerels for a higher wing set.

Anything else?

Dan,

You are not going to believe this - BUT - I am averaging ONE male for every 3 or 4 females that I hatch!

I have a few more males for you to look at. There is one from each hatch. I don't have leg bands or other identifying marks on them. Each bird is a few weeks younger than the other... Small, Medium, and Large cockerels.

I would appreciate your feedback. I plan on keeping one, or TWO at the MOST...

The first bird is the oldest of the three and therefore the biggest... His wing set looks as low as the male I had you look at yesterday.
So I am thinking that this won't be a keeper. However, I want to post him so that you can post any other faults or good characteristics that he has...

BELOW:
The male on the left is the oldest one.
The male on the Right is the youngest one.

Last edited:
Pics of the youngest male will be next... He has longer legs / thighs, but he just seems lanky. Perhaps, that is because is so much younger than the other two. I don't like his tail set right now either... Once again, could that be due to his youth?

He is in the front of this photo....

Front bird again...

BELOW:
The male in the front is the medium bird...
I think he has the longer legs/ thighs AND a higher wing set.
What do you think about him?

Behind him is the youngest male and behind him is the oldest male.

Same order...
Medium in front.
Youngest in middle.
Oldest in back.

Same order...
Medium in front.
Youngest in middle.
Oldest in back.

Order:
Oldest in the front.
Medium bird in back.

Order...
Oldest in front.
Medium in back right.
Youngest in back left.

Order...
Medium on left.
Youngest in center / back.
Oldest on right

Order...
Medium in back.
Youngest in front.
Oldest in middle.

Same order...
Medium in center back.
Youngest ion left.
Oldest on right.

Same order...
Medium in center back.
Youngest on left.
Oldest on right.

OK Dan... HELP me figure out who gets to hang out a while and who needs to hit the road!
I am leaning towards the medium (middle) bird, but would love to hear your feedback.

Last edited:
I would say the oldest has the shortest legs and also needs more width between the legs,appears a bit knock-kneed. The medium and youngest look to be better ones with tallness.Young birds may look lanky but that is okay for they settle with age and look shorter. The younger two may not have the right tail angle but at their age it is hard to judge.Tail anle and backs vary,but once you get short legs it is hard to breed out.

I would say the oldest has the shortest legs and also needs more width between the legs,appears a bit knock-kneed. The medium and youngest look to be better ones with tallness.Young birds may look lanky but that is okay for they settle with age and look shorter. The younger two may not have the right tail angle but at their age it is hard to judge.Tail anle and backs vary,but once you get short legs it is hard to breed out.

GOT IT! Thanks....

The first bird is the oldest of the three and therefore the biggest... His wing set looks as low as the male I had you look at yesterday.
So I am thinking that this won't be a keeper. However, I want to post him so that you can post any other faults or good characteristics that he has...

BELOW:
The male on the left is the oldest one.
The male on the Right is the youngest one.

Hi Lisa,

I think the youngest male shows a good comb that n neck. ot follow the neck line. His wings are on a good level too and color seems to be good.
Color you can see the best when he is matured.

Dan,

I got the best photos I could this morning LOL...
It appears my boy is a camera hog, but limits me to profile shots. I tried really hard to get a photo from the front, but he would not cooperate....

His color is darker and more consistent than the pictures are showing . .. The sun is playing tricks with the photos...
I can try to take another picture this afternoon after the sun has moved to the other side of the coops!

FYI: This cockerel is 4 1/2 months old.....
(Edited to correct his age..)

The male on the last picture shows a tail were from the main-tail feathers are turned in-planted like a roof. Stay close on that and look ore it turned back when he is fully matured.

The male on the last picture shows a tail were from the main-tail feathers are turned in-planted like a roof. Stay close on that and look ore it turned back when he is fully matured.

Thanks for the earlier advice on the youngest male.

All the photos from the group you referred to above are pictures of the same male. I don't think I understand what you are saying. I've got a feeling that it is important and that I NEED to understand it. Could you try to explain it again to me? This is the photo you were referring to and I included the side profile of him.

Thanks,
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom