Breeding charts

Bantams galore, where did you get those charts? Very helpful! Would like to read further
Thanks,
Karen

Hmmm, no where did I say "cull the faults." I did say "there is no formula." Culling and selecting a formula (a chart) are NOT the same thing. You need to couple your notes from your discussions with George, and examine your goals. I don't know what George told you. I simply know he has years of experience and is prone to say way too much about a topic. I asked him once why he divulged so many of his "secrets." He doesn't even know he does that. LOL. Maybe that accent keeps many of them safe. So talk with George again. I can't give you the answer you want. You will have to discern that yourself based on the birds you own or are willing to buy. Become a "student" of your breed. Good luck.

Line breeding charts have some value. They have been around and used for a long time. There are a few reasons for them. Avoiding getting too close etc. Also emphasizing the merits of an individual or individuals.

The strengths of an individual is often about the strengths of the family behind the individual.

Line breeding charts were also used by people that was concerned with performance. Traits other than what we can see. It is about gaining some control of the direction. Organizing the process.

I do believe that we can get too religiously devoted to them. I like to think that I follow a simple plan, but am free to decide what I will on the side, and incorporate what I have decided is necessary. Then I am also free to scrap an effort that I decide will not be helpful.

No matter what method is followed or philosophy adhered to, it still boils down to selection, and breeding decisions. Success or failure rides on those two points.

This is how I have come to view the topic.

Well, the first three ( that are all grouped from one) are described on this site http://www.ftcna.com/breeding.html

The other chart I copied out of a book. I liked it because in all but one year, you only make one mating a year.
I went over to this webpage and found a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister breeding plan.
( 3 quan. 1/2 siblings with same sire and different dams.) Used with a
trio to concentrate virtue of a single ancestor. ( in my case, the sire of the three birds) I was surprised! Had been seeking this plan for over
a year now. Unfortunately it calls for breeding back to the original
cock in the trio. While I still have the 2 original hens, I only have
a son of the cock. Now I am not sure how to proceed with this plan.
Can it be done if you only have a son of the original stud cock?
How does that change the inheritance ratios when concentrating
the virtue of that single ancestor ?
Hum,
Karen

Last edited:
img13.jpg

The chart on the left is the same one that is published in the (sorry I've lost the actual name of ) Rabbit Association's book.

?? The American Rabbit Breeders Association?? Maybe.

Last edited:
Hmmm, no where did I say "cull the faults." I did say "there is no formula." Culling and selecting a formula (a chart) are NOT the same thing. You need to couple your notes from your discussions with George, and examine your goals. I don't know what George told you. I simply know he has years of experience and is prone to say way too much about a topic. I asked him once why he divulged so many of his "secrets." He doesn't even know he does that. LOL. Maybe that accent keeps many of them safe. So talk with George again. I can't give you the answer you want. You will have to discern that yourself based on the birds you own or are willing to buy. Become a "student" of your breed. Good luck.

If you look back, I posted that I called George, and that I was culling the birds with hard feathers in their tails in the same post. To which you responded that that THAT was the start. I just wasn't sure which thing you meant was the start, but obviously you meant calling George.

Yup, bantams galore, talk to George.

3riverschick -- go with what you HAVE. Continue the line with the son. But I ask you the same question I asked bantams galore. WHY do you want to follow this course of action? No, you don't have to answer the question here. But what you will do using the son is change the coefficient of inbreeding involved.

Go here to see how to compute the new coefficient.

http://www.braquedubourbonnais.info/en/inbreeding-calculation.htm

Have fun!

George told me that he started with 4 pairs, set up as two trios. Mark the chicks as to which trio they came from make up 5 trios with the males for one mating an the females from the other.

I think what I have learned is that we have to breed poultry not paper. what to do is simply the means to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom