Breeding chickens with multiple roosters

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
I currently have one rooster and a male chick, and I'm wondering how it will be possible to specifically breed one rooster to a hen given that I read sperm lasts around 2 weeks after fertilization, and I will have two roosters. Would the hens have to be separated from all roosters long enough for them to stop laying fertilized eggs so they can be fertilized by the desired rooster? Or does a new rooster mating with them cause him to be the new fertilizer of the eggs?

Well if you want to ensure one rooster mates specific hens you will need to consider adding in a new pen setup and segregate the undesired breeding stock to that other pen. That or capon(search this site) the undesired cockerel/rooster.

In my case I created a bachelor pad for the undesirables the wife will not let me cull by other means.

Well if you want to ensure one rooster mates specific hens you will need to consider adding in a new pen setup and segregate the undesired breeding stock to that other pen. That or capon(search this site) the undesired cockerel/rooster.
That part I understand, I'm just wondering for how long. If I create a breeding pen, how long should they be in there? Same question about how long the sperm from one mating lasts. If the rooster mates with her in the breeding pen, will the eggs be fertilized by him or the other rooster that mated with her before that?

Well I have heard 3 weeks over and over to wait out the sperm. If we were talking whale sperm the last to mate theory holds true as most inject enough to flush out the previous partners. Alas, we are talking chicken and that is not their strategy, however, if you have observed both males mating a female I would wait three weeks after segregating/capon'ing to be sure personally. @aart @Kiki any other information to add?

Well I have heard 3 weeks over and over to wait out the sperm.
ahh that's so annoying! It might work out though because I was thinking of separating my roosters from the hens completely and having them live together, as I don't want to get rid of either one, and since I only have 5 hens they would probably fight and overbreed. Also I am looking pretty far into the future, as my chick is not even a week old yet.

I separate the flock into breeding groups for at least two weeks before saving eggs, and three weeks is better. I have had 'whoops' chicks after the two week separation.
My coop can be divided into sections, with bird separated by hardware cloth, so when they are all back together, there's not a problem with roosters fighting.
Mary

Last edited:
It might work out though because I was thinking of separating my roosters from the hens completely and having them live together, as I don't want to get rid of either one, and since I only have 5 hens they would probably fight and overbreed. Also I am looking pretty far into the future, as my chick is not even a week old yet.
Pick the best and eat the rest ;)

Back
Top Bottom