Breeding Cornish Rocks

Quote:
I've not attempted to use a Cornish X as a breeder , but intend to . I'm not interested in a Leghorn , Cornish X cross ; but I can point you to a meat bird that's easier to raise to breeding age but a little slower growing . It's the Hubbard White Mountain and available here : http://www.townlinehatchery.com/hatcherychicks.htm . Leghorns grow quick , they just don't get meaty ; you really don't need to increase their speed of growth .
One problem with lowering the protein in any animal's diet is lowered fertility , and excess calcium on birds that are not laying can actually result in joint problems as well as kidney disease . Personally I would see if the Cornish X still has enough instinct left to make use of free choice oyster shell and feed them controlled amounts of 18% grower . Since I have not tried any of this , I'm just sharing some thinking and not speaking from experience as far as using the Cornish X to breed .

The Improved Corndel Cross is a Cornish Rock x Delaware cross, a broiler that grows out in 9 weeks to a 4lb. avg. dress wt., a 6 lb. dress wt. in 12 weeks and up to 8lb. in 15 weeks. The Improved Pastured Peeper is a standardized, commercial, Cornish Rock Cross, growing to 4lb. in 8 weeks, 6lb. in 10 weeks, and up to 8lb.in 12 weeks. Id say other people are trien to cross cornish rocks with other breeds to make them more for pasture raising im all for it

Last edited:
Crossing a docile , muscle packing Cornish X with a polar opposite Flighty, lean and mean egg laying machine Leghorn and hoping to get a great meat bird AND an egg laying machine is akin to an 6' 6" and 330 pound NFL left tackle marrying a 4' 11" and 95 pound Olympic gymnast and hoping for kids to be NFL linemen and WBA players at the same time. Chances of this happening are quite slim at best.

{what i would like to creat is a good meat bird with excellent egg laying abaility yall may laugh at me but i want to cross them with leghorns a leghorn on cornish rock hen n a cornish rock roo on a leghorn breed together then keep cross breeding till i can get a good sized carcess with High Egg yeilding. Which what makes meat better than a cornish rock and what lays better than a leghorn may be a while goose chase but im gonna try it}

i never stated that just breeding the 2 together would creat it i stated with line breeding the 2 sides till i get what i want i am not stupid. Dont tell me it cant be dun im sure 80 years ago when somone said hey i got a chicken that can be slaughter in 6 weeks though they were nuts. Its all about genetics if one can get the right ones down then their is no issue why this cann;t work

Last edited:
Quote:
Good luck with that, but I think maybe you are on a wild goose chase. Leghorns and Cornish Rock are total opposites, the odds of keeping the meat qualities and the egg laying ability are slim, at best. You're more likely to get a heavy bird that doesn't lay much, or a good, skinny layer. You could even get a skinny bird that doesn't lay well. Or after a few generations, with X'ing the biggest meat with skinny, but the most eggs, you may get a bird that's completely average.

But I could be wrong. Let us know how it goes.

we will see the key is gettin them to breeding age i think i am goin to do various crosses with rir barred rocks and things these are 2 weeks old
43892_cornish_chicks_two_weeks_2.jpg

Last edited:
why not try brahmas then. they have a large carcass, lay well but the problem is, the longer you feed a bird to be a table bird, the more it costs you. brahmas grow slowly. I have 2 flocks, one of meat and they are gone in 6-8 weeks and then my layer flock. it costs a whole lot less to feed my layer flock but I'm thankful the broilers are done eating in 8 weeks with as much as goes in as goes out the other end.
you could also try to make your own cross of cornish over delaware or a cornish over rocks. have the cornish being the male so you will get lots of eggs from the dels or rocks and table the offspring.

Back
Top Bottom