Breeding Cornish X Rocks

Pics
Ok,Im kind of excited if its a hen now how many eggs do they lay in there life time?and can you breed them?and if the rooster is sterile can you put a different breed of rooster in with her and he mates her will it work?...thanks
Cornish X hens will lay eggs. Mine produced nice large brown eggs. I don't know how many they will lay because I didn't let them live that long. The Cornish X chickens are a cross, not a hybrid, so they are fertile. The problem you would have with breeding them is twofold. One the rooster may be so large he can't mate properly and fertilize the eggs and two, the offspring will not grow and perform like the parents. In other words, they do not breed true. Then of course there is the problem of them just dropping dead for no good reason.

It looks like they gave you something like a RIR or, more likely, a New Hampshire Red or a hybrid like a Red Sex Link like a Golden Comet. I think you already realize it is not the same as the Cornish crosses you ordered.

On the bright side, at least you can get a good side by side comparison of the different birds.

Might be a Red Ranger...I THINK/NOT sure, they are a true breed? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Beyond figuring out the mystery where can you get the best price on cornish x chicks, or eggs for hatching.

Beyond figuring out the mystery where can you get the best price on cornish x chicks, or eggs for hatching.
Doubt you find any true meaty hatching eggs to purchase, without buying 10 plus dozen.
Can someone tell me how to ensure the meat from the Cornish X will be tender once they are butchered ?
butcher them at the appropriate age, and do not mess around with DP breeds.
Might be a Red Ranger...I THINK/NOT sure, they are a true breed? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
They are a mixture of breeds and composites. Nothing more than a hybrid.

[quote
butcher them at the appropriate age, and do not mess around with DP breeds.

What age is appropriate ? And what are DP breeds ?[/QUOTE]
DP is Dual Purpose Breeds for both meat and eggs.

There is no appropriate age to butcher. It all depends on what you want as far as the size you want to eat.

All you need to after butchering is let them rest in the refrigerator until the joints all move freely. A couple of days will usually do it.

DP is Dual Purpose    Breeds for both meat and eggs.

There is no appropriate age to butcher.  It all depends on what you want as far as the size you want to eat.

All you need to after butchering is let them rest in the refrigerator until the joints all move freely.  A couple of days will usually do it.

Thank you for the info !

DP is Dual Purpose Breeds for both meat and eggs.

There is no appropriate age to butcher. It all depends on what you want as far as the size you want to eat.

All you need to after butchering is let them rest in the refrigerator until the joints all move freely. A couple of days will usually do it.
You can butcher them anytime from 6-12 weeks of age. Appropriately, 8-9 seems like ideal.

We leave our's in the fridge for 12-36 hours usually in water soaking.

So I may be a little behind in this process, but I am going to try and breed a dark cornish roo and a barred rock hen. My question now becomes does the resulting chick become a hybrid to the point where you cannot rue breed the new chickens? My thinking is getting a more sustainable meat bird by using the best traits I.e. size and growth rate to keep improving on the poor mans X that we have made.

Back
Top Bottom