1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Darker Eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigredfeather, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am wanting to get my Black Austalorp and Buff Orpington hens to lay darker eggs. If I cross breed these with a Welsummer, will it create a hen that lays darker eggs? I'm am still uneducated about cross breeding, so please don't think this is a stupid question. It may not even be possible to get darker eggs by cross breeding, that's why I'm asking the experts.

Thanks.

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Wouldn't it be easier to get a dark egg laying breed?

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Yes it would probably be easier, but I'm trying to work with what I have.

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I don't know the answer but we recently rescued a Cuckoo Maran roo and my RIR eggs have gone from a nice light-medium brown to a very dark brown. The only change in their lives is adding the CM Roo to the yard so I figure he's got to be the reason. My RIR hens are 2.5 yrs old. I always thought that the Hen had the only influence on egg coloring, now I'm thinking I was wrong LOL

Michelle

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The cock bird does not affect the colour of egg that existing birds lay. He can only affect the offspring.

6. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:Exactly what I thought till this happened. Hmmm I wonder why my girls' eggs got so much darker?

Michelle

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hormones? Eggscited about having a man in their lives?

8. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:LOL! They've always had a roo with them so I don't think that's it.

Michelle

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Bigred, yes, if you bred your girls to a roo bred from a dark egg laying line, their offspring should lay darker. Good luck! [​IMG] It's fun doing these little home projects!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by