Breeding Different Varieties

jarcoo0153

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Levelland, Texas
So if I was to breed two birds of the same breed, but they were two different varieties, like BLRW to a SLW, would this still be a purebred bird, or is this still considered to be a mutt?

Technically, they would still be pure Wyandottes, just not accepted colors. I'm not sure if there would be any advantage in crossing those two, but you can sometimes improve one variety by introducing some traits from another.

Did you have a specific goal in crossing them, or is that just what you have on hand?

I like the looks of both of these breeds, and I thought I might get a few SLW pullets, but I also like the BLRW roosters I have seen on another post, and thought I would be a neat cross. Plus If I tried to sell some culls I wanted to know if I could still sell them as wyndottes.

You would actually get sex linked Wyandottes that way.

There's no harm in doing it if you're up front with the buyer. You'll have better luck selling your culls for more money if you get nice stock of either or both breeds in both sexes and sell pure ones.

I agree they are both striking birds! That's why I have both!

The pullets from this mating would be GLW & GLBW; the males should be culled as they will be split for silver & gold & will not breed true.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom