Breeding Duckling Question

kennamangan

Hatching
May 11, 2021
Hi. So I hatched my first duckling a few days ago, and I am confused. Here is what I have. 2 Female Pekins, 2 Female Crested Magpies (Black/White), 1 Female Blue Swedish, and 1 Male Mallard. Obviously the mallard is the father, but I cannot figure out who the mother might be just because of the colors of the duckling. These pics are from the day he hatched so he wasn't quite clean yet, and I can take more if needed, but at first, I thought it had to be one of the magpies because they are the only ones with black in them. But I saw someone else's post of their new ducklings, and she says they are black swedish (which I don't have), and her ducklings look exactly like mine. Is it possible to get black from ducks that have no black?? Any input is helpful. Thanks!
20210619_175503.jpg
20210619_175510.jpg

Hi. So I hatched my first duckling a few days ago, and I am confused. Here is what I have. 2 Female Pekins, 2 Female Crested Magpies (Black/White), 1 Female Blue Swedish, and 1 Male Mallard. Obviously the mallard is the father, but I cannot figure out who the mother might be just because of the colors of the duckling. These pics are from the day he hatched so he wasn't quite clean yet, and I can take more if needed, but at first, I thought it had to be one of the magpies because they are the only ones with black in them. But I saw someone else's post of their new ducklings, and she says they are black swedish (which I don't have), and her ducklings look exactly like mine. Is it possible to get black from ducks that have no black?? Any input is helpful. Thanks!View attachment 2731654View attachment 2731656
Yep, your blue Swedish carries one copy of black and one of silver. So, she could give the baby black. Your Perkins could also be the mothers. White is the result of two recessive “no color” alleles. But, Perkins can carry any other color as well. Most seem to carry black with a bib, so they are just as likely. This is a good article to explain duck genetics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

As was stated, the Blue Swedish could be the mother, or the pekins could be too. @cheezenkwackers already linked the article I wrote in their post so if you're curious to learn more about the color genetics, you can read it :)

Such a little cutie! I've been learning about genetics more so in snakes but have been looking at ducks too and the article above is so good!!
I have 2 miniature silver appleyard and 2 call cross m and f of each and have 8 eggs in the incubator, so I'm not sure who's is who's only 17 more days to go fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

Back
Top Bottom