Breeding Ducks

chrystals Farm

Hatching
Sep 4, 2018
Hi everyone, im thinking of getting some ducks, the breeds im thinking of getting are a pair f khaki campbell for egg production and a pair of muscovys for meat production, my only worry is that they may breed with each other as i dont want this, will they mate with there own breed or will they mate each other. If they do mate with each is it best to just get a muscovy drake and nevermind the muscovy duck as to my understanding if a muscovy drake mates with another breed of duck they will become mules which are still good for meat production. would i just cull the males when ready and keep the females for duck production or cull both as i dont want the eggs to get mixed up with the khaki campbells eggs as i will want chicks eventually, as it will be to hard to keep them separated and wont be able to tell which eggs are fertile or not, any ideas on what to do here would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Hi everyone, im thinking of getting some ducks, the breeds im thinking of getting are a pair f khaki campbell for egg production and a pair of muscovys for meat production, my only worry is that they may breed with each other as i dont want this, will they mate with there own breed or will they mate each other. If they do mate with each is it best to just get a muscovy drake and nevermind the muscovy duck as to my understanding if a muscovy drake mates with another breed of duck they will become mules which are still good for meat production. would i just cull the males when ready and keep the females for duck production or cull both as i dont want the eggs to get mixed up with the khaki campbells eggs as i will want chicks eventually, as it will be to hard to keep them separated and wont be able to tell which eggs are fertile or not, any ideas on what to do here would be greatly appreciated. cheers

If you have asailable females of musc they will NOT mate with another breed as they prefer thier own if they have mated thier own kind b4 they will not go back to another breed in france those "mules" are the main ones produced for meat but they can only be intentionaly produced by creating a complete lack of other options for the musc usually with pekin fems

They defintely can mate with one another - the only way to prevent that is to keep them separate.
I am not sure the Muscovy/khaki cross would lay as many eggs as a khaki or if it would lay like a muscovy so it would be up to you to decide which would become meat birds. I think the khaki is considered dual purpose as well.
The cross offspring will most likely be sterile, but the pure muscovy hatches wouldn't and muscovy are great brooders. The combo would definitely keep your bird production up.

Back
Top Bottom