Breeding Easter Eggers

Gingersnap722

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2013
FL
I'm hatching some Ameraucana's and would like to start breeding Easter Eggers. Any advice on which breeds of hens to cross with the Ameraucana to get good EE's?

Thank you!

Get Easter Egger hens.

Your true Ameraucanas would likely fetch more money though than EEs (I am guessing.) They are more rare.

You can also create olive eggers- there is a thread for them somewhere around here. I think some have used Marans for that.

There is an Ameraucana thread, and also an EE thread as well if you are interested.

Last edited:
Assuming your Ameraucanas are true, blue egg laying Ameraucanas rather than Easter Eggers, you can cross them with any of the chocolate egg laying breeds (Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders, Penedescencas) and get Olive Eggers, which are a very popular variety of Easter Egger.

I liked crossing my EE with brown leghorns. Similar to the now popular super blue egg layers. The EE, or in your case Ameraucana, contributed the colored eggs and the Leghorn blood boosted egg size and production. I used the brown Leghorns simply as personal preference as I don't care for white birds.

Back
Top Bottom