Breeding EEs question

druidgirl

In the Brooder
May 9, 2016
I've got two ee's, a cockerel and a pullet. When they mature, I want to breed them because they're both the same coloring and both are docile and quiet. Wont let me post pics, but they look brown and red mottled/barred. The male has slate legs and the female pink legs with a slight slate wash. My question is, if I breed them, will I be able to tell the gender of the chicks by their leg color? Or would it be completely random? If they are siblings (idk if they are, they're hatchery stock from the feed store), will the offspring be well, messed up?

Random leg coloring really and even more, EE's are essentially mutts so their offspring could really be all over the place depending on the genetics that are buried in them. A lot of people breed related stock and realistically, on a small scale operation - you'll probably see no stereotypical inbred issues that we're afraid of. It's probably safe to start your flock with these two, eventually you can separate lines or add new blood to your flock if you're concerned about it.

I've got two ee's, a cockerel and a pullet. When they mature, I want to breed them because they're both the same coloring and both are docile and quiet. Wont let me post pics, but they look brown and red mottled/barred. The male has slate legs and the female pink legs with a slight slate wash. My question is, if I breed them, will I be able to tell the gender of the chicks by their leg color? Or would it be completely random? If they are siblings (idk if they are, they're hatchery stock from the feed store), will the offspring be well, messed up?
Need to see pictures of the birds to even try to guess at what offspring they will produce.

And no, hatchery birds may be cousins or half-siblings, but not likely to be direct brothers/sisters. It takes several generations of intense line breeding for genetic abnormalities to become problematic.

Back
Top Bottom