Breeding for Chocolate Splash

BriteAcres

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Ok I have confused myself a bit with the breeding for chocolate splash. If someone could please breakdown how to make an F1 hen or roo for a chocolate splash it would be a gift!
I do understand BBS genetics but when it comes to the chocolate, I get lost.
I do understand that roosters need 2 choc gene and hens need 1. And I do understand the mauve and split.
But once I get to the mauve and splits I get very lost.
Can someone please help me get to the point of what I need for roo x hen to even get sex linked chocolate splash? But any help would be a god send!!
Thank you so much in advance!!!

So you understand BBS? What each combo produces so you know how to get splash?

Chocolate is sex linked. Females only get one gene so she either gets chocolate and is chocolate or she doesn't get it and isn't chocolate.
Her gene comes from her father and she passes it to her son.
Males are like regular genes getting one from each parent. If it gets 2 chocolate genes it's chocolate and passes a chocolate gene to every offspring. If it has no chocolate gene then it isn't chocolate and can't pass a chocolate gene forward.
If it has one chocolate gene then it won't show chocolate but will be split for it and has a 50/50 chance of passing it on.
So.....
Chocolate rooster X chocolate hen = all chocolate offspring.
Chocolate rooster X non chocolate hen = chocolate pullets and split cockerels.
Non Chocolate rooster X chocolate hen = non chocolate pullets and split cockerels.
Split rooster X chocolate hen = 50% chocolate pullets, 50% non chocolate pullets. 50% chocolate cockerels, 50% split cockerels.
Split rooster X non chocolate hen = 50% chocolate pullets, 50% non chocolate pullets. 50% Split cockerels, 50% non chocolate cockerels.

I was really hoping you would be one to reply @The Moonshiner
I have learned a bunch from your comments!
I am in no way a genetics expert and am humbled by it all lol
When I posted my question, I was typing fast and meant to say I understand the black x splash or blue x splash part. And I do understand the choc x splash.
It just really intrigues me on the choc splash but for some reason chocolate confuses me. The info you have seriously blows my mind!
Would it be the same when it came to chocolate paint also
I appreciate it a lot!!

I understand that blue x blue = black, blue and splash
But I am having trouble with the concept of breeding that into splash.
From what I understand on paints, please correct me if I am wrong, a paint roo (white w black) x chocolate hen= potential choc paint offspring
Same goes for blue or red paints also?
I may be in over my head lmfao

:lau of course you're gonna be over your head when you jump straight into the deep end.
You need to take it one step at a time.
Figure out how BBS works.
How chocolate works.
How paints work.
Once you figure out how each set works then you can start looking at them mixed and matched.

I understand that blue x blue = black, blue and splash
But I am having trouble with the concept of breeding that into splash.
From what I understand on paints, please correct me if I am wrong, a paint roo (white w black) x chocolate hen= potential choc paint offspring
Same goes for blue or red paints also?
I may be in over my head lmfao
Did you get this figured out? Or are you still having trouble?

Zaujímalo by ma, aké farebné štiepanie je pri porcelánovej alebo striebornej farbe. Ako zvýrazniť tmavú farbu, prípadne zvýrazniť biele bodky či vlny
I wonder what the color splitting is with the jubilee color or silver with black trim? How to highlight a dark color or highlight white dots. With which other colors is it appropriate to cross these colors?

I wonder what the color splitting is with the jubilee color or silver with black trim? How to highlight a dark color or highlight white dots. With which other colors is it appropriate to cross these colors?

If you are talking about chickens that show the mottling gene, that gene is recessive. So crossing with any not-mottled chicken will give chickens that carry the mottling gene without showing the effects. Crossing chickens that show mottling, with other chickens that show mottling, will give chicks that also show mottling.

Chicken varieties that show mottling include:
Jubilee Orpington
Spangled Russian Orloff
Spangled Old English Game Bantam
Speckled Sussex
Mille Fleur d'Uccle (and Mille Fleur variety of any other breed)
Porcelain d'Uccle
Silver Mille Fleur d'Uccle
Golden Neck d'Uccle
the variety called "Mottled" in any breed (Ancona, Old English Game, d'Uccle, etc.)

The mottling gene causes a white tip on the feather, with a black section after that, and then the rest of the feather color is controlled by the other genes the chicken has.

The white dots are most obvious on very dark colored chickens, like black (Mottled) and dark red (Speckled Sussex).

The black part is more obvious on light colored chickens (Mille Fleur, Silver Mille Fleur)

Any gene that affects black can affect the black part on the feather. It can turn to a light gray color (Porcelain d'Uccle, Lavender Mottled). Or it can turn to white (Gold Neck d'Uccle). It can also turn to blue or chocolate (Blue Mottled, Chocolate Mottled.)

Back
Top Bottom