breeding for colors questions- Coturnix reds **EDIT- PICS ADDED**

ksukristin

Songster
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
I'm so excited- I hatched some shipped Coturnix eggs that were given to me by a friend. one little guy that hatched looked different from the other browns and a few goldens that hatched. So I went and looked a Nikki's handy photos for colors and this little chick looks JUST like her pic of the red coturnix.
wee.gif

I'm super pumped to add a new color to the group- and I was curious to know if the red is a recessive or dominant- and what I'd get if I bred this red to browns, goldens, tibetans, and whites that I have now. (I'm sure I'll experiment with this but starting out with more than my guesses would be awesome) I have a few tuxedos too- wonder if it's possible to have a red tux?

I'd love to end up with more reds! Is it an uncommon color? My goal is to have a few of each color, so I'm excited that this little one hatched and is doing so well!

any thoughts, knowledge, experience, or fun wild guesses are appreciated!

Last edited:
Red, Red Golden, and Red Tuxedo are 3 of 5 colorations of Coturnix I specialize in. I would need to see a pic of the chick to tell you which of the three Red mutations the bird will grow up to be. Then could answer your question about crossing the bird to get more reds. Reds and Red Tuxedo are still very uncommon in this country....Red Golden aka Fawn are becoming more common.
cool.png

ooh! I took some pics last night- I'm uploading them today so you can all see this little one
smile.png
*uploading now!*

and thanks for that info- I'm a geek about that sort of thing so I enjoyed the read!

here are a few pictures-

the red on the right, next to a brown on the left
DSCN2438.jpg

here is a shot of the back of the red
DSCN2435.jpg

and one more from the front- brown in the back, golden drinking
smile.png

DSCN2436.jpg

Oh how cute! Adorable little cutie! I love coturnix quail. Of all the different kinds of quail I have, and have had in the past couple of years, the coturnix are my favorite. They are the friendliest and most tame of all, especially if play with them a lot when they are babies. I love the 'Red' color variety too, some people call them 'Fawn Gingers' and some call them 'Cinnamon'. I have a small flock of them and have hatching eggs available. Such sweet quail!

That bird is a Red Golden aka Cinnamon...aka Ginger....aka Fawn. You can cross that bird if it is a male over black hens and get Red offspring.
cool.png

Quote:
hey there! tried to PM you again but your inbox is full- I'll try again later today, just wanted to give you a heads up! thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom