Breeding for meatier chickens

SpotTheCat

Herding cats
Jan 19, 2021
UK
I want to breed my quail to be larger and meatier but I am not sure what to look for (yes quails not chickens).
Most people seem to be breeding bigger quail, but I know with rabbits that does not necessarily mean they have more meat, well they will have more meat but you can get smaller rabbits with more meat then bigger rabbits because they have a better meat to bone ratio.
so what do you look for in chickens you are breeding for meat?
Or what would you look for in quails bred for meat?

I want to breed my quail to be larger and meatier but I am not sure what to look for (yes quails not chickens).
Most people seem to be breeding bigger quail, but I know with rabbits that does not necessarily mean they have more meat, well they will have more meat but you can get smaller rabbits with more meat then bigger rabbits because they have a better meat to bone ratio.
so what do you look for in chickens you are breeding for meat?
Or what would you look for in quails bred for meat?
My jumbo are quail quite meaty and they lay large eggs for nearly their whole lives but they're also pretty aggressive. Of course, you can cull the aggressive ones to work on a calmer line of meaty quail. Texas A&M quail are apparently quite meaty and docile but I haven't had those so I can't tell you much about them except to make sure the place you get them from isn't going to cheat you. (I tried to order texas A&M quail before I settled on jumbo pharaohs. They came from big eggs but they're the same size as my regular quail.)

My jumbo are quail quite meaty and they lay large eggs for nearly their whole lives but they're also pretty aggressive. Of course, you can cull the aggressive ones to work on a calmer line of meaty quail. Texas A&M quail are apparently quite meaty and docile but I haven't had those so I can't tell you much about them except to make sure the place you get them from isn't going to cheat you. (I tried to order texas A&M quail before I settled on jumbo pharaohs. They came from big eggs but they're the same size as my regular quail.)
I am trying to breed the quail I have to have a better meat to bone ratio rather then just bigger, in a few years I will hopefully be adding some jumbo quails.

I am trying to breed the quail I have to have a better meat to bone ratio rather then just bigger, in a few years I will hopefully be adding some jumbo quails.
The texas A&M coturnix quail are already meaty like that. They were bred to be meaty. Jumbo quail are meaty too but it takes longer for them to become that way (more like 10-14 weeks if you want them to be at maximum size and meat when you butcher.)

The texas A&M coturnix quail are already meaty like that. They were bred to be meaty. Jumbo quail are meaty too but it takes longer for them to become that way (more like 10-14 weeks if you want them to be at maximum size and meat when you butcher.)
I don’t think I can get them in the UK, most people just seem to call white Coturnix quails texas A&M.

Back
Top Bottom