BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Yup, it's like that in much of central Texas too, either granite or limestone. Even around here, some people trying to put in pools or underground structures like basements or storm shelters get shell shock from the price of excavation after their site has been assessed. The clay soil is fertile, but a long term project for gardeners. I'm using raised beds as well as working on loosening the tilth of my native soil in one area using compost and a little sand. One of the reasons for keeping the hens is their compostable litter and droppings.
With our red clay in Oklahoma, horticulture division suggests adding gypsum to soften the clay along with aged compost that incorporates shredded leaves and grass clippings.
I also double dig when I turn my 12 inch high raised beds.every other year. This opens up the clay under the beds to the roots of my veggies and helps improve drainage and tilth.
I use the clean out from the deep litter in the hen house in my compost too. The soiled wood shavings from the brooder room becomes mulch and gets turned into the beds in the fall.

Today was the third day we hit 115* or higher, setting a new record for the area, but this afternoon the clouds moved in, the thunder started booming, the winds kicked up, and.....I felt ONE drop of rain. Seriously, that's it. The good news is that it still dropped our afternoon temps down to 101* at my house, which is completely doable. I turned off the two window A/C units in the chicken cabin to give them (and my electric bill) a break since they haven't been able to drop the interior temperature below 98* in the hottest part of the afternoon. (That's still better than 115* or more though, so....)

The free-ranging birds have been surviving by way of shade and lots of water - ice cubes in their drinking water, hoses running and flooding the yard to create cool puddles for them to stand and scratch in...the misters are an absolute waste of time for them since they all hate them. The only birds really suffering are the Bielefelder hens and my one remaining Cornish-mix hen. So far though, no losses, which is a lot better than what most of my local chicken friends have experienced. It's come at a price though, because even if the chickens haven't suffered from heat stroke, I have.

The Silver Grey Dorkings are doing surprisingly well in this heat. They're in a run that offers shade for all but an hour each day, and the only thing I've provided them is fresh, cool drinking water and a running hose on and off throughout the day. I didn't expect them to do this well so I'm really relieved.

I'm giving serious thought to digging them a "rabbit tunnel". Since a few of my birds have dug down an entire foot in certain parts of my yard, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to finish the job and put some plywood over top of it. :)

I feel you although not nearly as hot as you the heat is real and sustained and it is hard on them. Sending positive thoughts your way......

After reading several threads on this great site, I've become convinced that there must be many people, lurkers or those who fear being jumped upon, who are simply interested in breeding chickens for production.

Breeding for egg production has been my life-long hobby and I have never disparaged those who breed strictly for conformation, to the Standard of Perfection, as written by folks who had their ideals met and transcribed long ago and I do not intend to begin here.

In fact, I intend to begin a SOP breeding project in the near future, with a breed that will require considerable dedication and commitment. That being said, I have started this thread for those of us that enjoy the fruits of our labors in egg and meat production and who really don't care if our chickens meet some arbitrary set of rules that can at best, be very subjective.

With egg and meat production....the quality can be seen and tasted. No need for a third party to give us their opinions, with the possible exceptions...if we sell eggs or meat birds, we had better produce quality or our efforts will be in vain.

EDIT: This thread is as much for the SOP folks as anyone. I think they need to realize (many do) that production was the primary reason for having chickens 'back in the day'.
highfive.gif
I would be in interested in following. I think taste is very important (just ask my boyfriend, lol)! I'm getting a late start at my age, but I'm looking to enjoy myself with this.

I would be in interested in following. I think taste is very important (just ask my boyfriend, lol)! I'm getting a late start at my age, but I'm looking to enjoy myself with this.
Welcome, I don't believe starting at any age is too late, or too early. You start when you are ready. I am a FFA circa 1975 retread. I just got back into chickens in 2015 40 years after having them as a high school project. So welcome, ask questions, even if you think they are really basic. We all share a love for animals.

My first chicks in well over 20 years are due to ship today! 25 layer pullets from Ideal. :wee
Getting last minute stuff ready and recalibrating my seedling mat heating cave. Got to put my feeders and waterers together. Trying to temper my expectations to avoid disappointment. I've been down this road before. But I guess I'll never learn. I'm still all :celebrate in anticipation inside. Wish me and my new fuzzies well, please. :fl

Welcome pmbourque! Nice folks chat here.

My first chicks in well over 20 years are due to ship today! 25 layer pullets from Ideal. :wee
Getting last minute stuff ready and recalibrating my seedling mat heating cave. Got to put my feeders and waterers together. Trying to temper my expectations to avoid disappointment. I've been down this road before. But I guess I'll never learn. I'm still all :celebrate in anticipation inside. Wish me and my new fuzzies well, please. :fl

dancingaround.gif
Exciting news!

Welcome! I think this is the perfect thread for you! The people here are fantastic and full of helpful information, wisdom and experience. I've learned more here than just about anywhere else.

:weeI know how you feel I had birds forever ago, and then discovered BYC and all I could do was look at everyone's else's birds! Read up on things too... but dream and pine away for my peeps. But then the laws changed where I live currently... so now I got a couple beautiful hens. So happy chicken keeping and :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom