BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

IRRRMA! :barnie:oops:
My Trampoline converted chicken coop suffered some damage. Matthew took out the cover last time. My cockerel Matthew-named for the Hurricane, is in the fourth Picture. The pine tree got the roof, some bamboo poles, and bent the frame. I can fix it. All my chickens survived Irma.View attachment 1135015 View attachment 1135016 View attachment 1135018 View attachment 1135019 View attachment 1135021

I'm so glad everyone's okay though! The damages are a hassle, but at least it can be repaired.

No damage to animal quarters only our house roof, and it got fixed by my other half straight away, but we still have some dry walling to do inside.

Too bad we don't live closer to one another. I love dry walling and painting. It relaxes me.

Yes it is too bad. Lucky for me other half is a carpenter for a construction company so he can do the work, only problem is they are so busy at work with all the hurricane damage that he has been working lots of hours.

Past two days, I've butchered the extra roosters and canned the breasts and thighs, froze the legs and wings and made broth from all the bones. Still have one more group to process before moving to the duck pens.

Now that the weather's cooler I've started my butchering too. At this point I'm having to make some really tough choices and getting rid of some really nice birds that simply don't fit into my breeding programs, including some from my very first flock. Those little buggers really tug at my heart strings, but boy am I gonna eat good this fall and winter. ;)

Bird update... the Chanteclers are growing well and I think I have some nice birds to breed from.

Green Band/Tank
Absolutely massive cockerel. Has flaws in colour and backline from an SOP standpoint but his vigour and general manner (better than the other two cockerels by a tad) means I will probably hatch some chicks from him and see if they're terribly off or not. Might use him to try and get female birds up to snuff. Unfortunately, he has rather crude headgear which is not good for frostbite issues, but it's ignorable at this point.
ATANK.JPG

ATANK2.JPG

Hopefully this shows the size difference. Tank's in the back.
ASIZE.JPG

Blue Band/Java
Nice bird, needs to fill out more. Active and well built. Nice small comb and wattles which is a production trait here in the frozen north.
AJAVA.JPG

Yellow Band/Carey
Love the colour on this one. Practically identical to Java in manner and size; perhaps a slight build difference but not enough that I've managed to pin down what it is.
ACAREY.JPG

Orange Band---cull
Inferior in SOP type and production type, I think. I'll give her a stay of cull anyway until she lays, since I hate wasting a pullet. Maybe she'll surprise me and be worth her keep in eggs or as a mother.
ASWEETHEART.JPG

Clear Band/Alex
Love back and tail on this one. She's very wide all the way through her back, well filled out, and her health is excellent. She's supposed to have pencilling but we all have to start somewhere, eh? I have a feeling she'll be a good layer---I hope that feeling is right. She looks more mature than the other birds because she's about a half month older, so I have to be careful not to let that guide my decisions.
ALEX.JPG

Last edited:
Okni have a question... Why ferment feed? I don't get the point of it? I was told by a great breeder not to do it because it causes crop issues?
I have been fermenting feed for over 5 years & have never had a crop issue with my hens. They are healthy (my oldest are 6 years old & still laying) never ill, and it gives them extra moisture in the summer months. The eggs are the best tasting ever. My friends that buy them say they have never tasted a better egg :)

I have been fermenting feed for over 5 years & have never had a crop issue with my hens. They are healthy (my oldest are 6 years old & still laying) never ill, and it gives them extra moisture in the summer months. The eggs are the best tasting ever. My friends that buy them say they have never tasted a better egg :)

Not going to ask about fermenting feed...I am interested in where you went fishing to catch that beauty in your avatar!

Back
Top Bottom