BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

14 lbs. is good! Have you found out what breed or mix that he really is yet?
No sigh .... the lady I got him from was no help, she thought he was a leghorn and she got him from some guy local here but couldn't remember who..... he is a nice size but gets around well, not lame like a cornish cross would be at that age, she said he was from this spring. I wonder about possible white rock?

No sigh .... the lady I got him from was no help, she thought he was a leghorn and she got him from some guy local here but couldn't remember who..... he is a nice size but gets around well, not lame like a cornish cross would be at that age, she said he was from this spring. I wonder about possible white rock?

I guess that there would be no way to create more just like him, then.

I guess that there would be no way to create more just like him, then.
Lol I think I will settle for simular, but with more color.... and posibly nn? Mmmmm the possibilities! I think I will find him a few more girlfriends, right now he is in with one nn..... I think maybe a dark Cornish? A delaware?

Lol I think I will settle for simular, but with more color.... and posibly nn? Mmmmm the possibilities! I think I will find him a few more girlfriends, right now he is in with one nn..... I think maybe a dark Cornish? A delaware?

It would be interesting to know if there is another color gene hiding under his white coloring.

So earlier this year (late July) a commercial laying pullet came into my possession, she escaped from the chicken houses across the road when they were unloading a new batch. I think I’d like to breed her to my red ranger rooster to add some laying genetics in but keep the size, she’s a pretty good sized bird herself, though the ranger pullets I have lay almost daily. I could also breed her to my brown leghorn, EE, Australorp or blue laced red Wyandotte cockerel when he’s old enough. What do you guys think?
3F2DCC3E-3EB4-4398-A294-5D914D05A8EC.jpeg

5EB988CF-B6DD-40E8-9838-C65A9D98BB6C.jpeg

Buckeye and Orpingtons are both great breeds! Are you going to try find a breeder? Buckeyes might be a little more practical for the winter as they don't have such big combs...

I'm not really worried about frost bite. NC doesn't really have a winter. I have a few "breeders" around me that I would use, but they are crazy expensive and never really have what I want.

For egg and meat production I simply must sing the praises of the Naked Neck Turken. They're exceptionally hardy, healthy birds, have really good growth rates, and are surprisingly good layers. My top NN laying hen laid 250 eggs per year on average each of her first two years, and has laid 133 eggs half-way through her third laying year. She currently weighs 7 lbs while in molt. My top NN meat hen weighs over 8.5 lbs, started laying this past May, and has already given me 120 X-large eggs. My top NN roosters weigh in over 10 lbs. NNs have roughly 50% fewer feathers than other breeds, making them a lot faster to process, and their skin crisps up beautifully. Plus, you can cross them with almost any other breed in pursuit of traits you're looking for and still create hardy NNs from the crosses while also having lots of "eye candy" via a variety of feather patterns.

I have a woman trying to get me into NN. I just can't get over the look of them though. I had a couple of showgirls and didn't really like their personality. What color eggs do they lay? I like color. What about free ranging hardiness and protection against predators?

So earlier this year (late July) a commercial laying pullet came into my possession, she escaped from the chicken houses across the road when they were unloading a new batch. I think I’d like to breed her to my red ranger rooster to add some laying genetics in but keep the size, she’s a pretty good sized bird herself, though the ranger pullets I have lay almost daily. I could also breed her to my brown leghorn, EE, Australorp or blue laced red Wyandotte cockerel when he’s old enough. What do you guys think?
View attachment 1210005

View attachment 1210006

I like your first choice of the Red Ranger rooster. Both have similar body type, tail, breast...single comb, same color legs. The red will give a nice color variance...

View attachment 1210005

View attachment 1210006
Did she come from a big commercial farm?

Back
Top Bottom