BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I like your first choice of the Red Ranger rooster. Both have similar body type, tail, breast...single comb, same color legs. The red will give a nice color variance...
Me too. That is true. The only reason I have that fella is because he was too small to send to the butcher with every one else. I guess he had a hard time fighting over food with the other 50+ rangers. I kept him cause he was the smallest male, now he’s over 12lbs and bigger than any of the others ever got. Yeah, the red will add some nice color.

Did she come from a big commercial farm?
She sure did.

Hi
what a lovely layer!! she's beautiful! why don't you breed her to your Red Ranger and then take the best sons and breed them back to her. oh she's beautiful.
So thinking it was such a large operation perhaps what you have is a nice pullet from a coveted commercial line.
Best success,
Karen

I'm not really worried about frost bite. NC doesn't really have a winter. I have a few "breeders" around me that I would use, but they are crazy expensive and never really have what I want.

I have a woman trying to get me into NN. I just can't get over the look of them though. I had a couple of showgirls and didn't really like their personality. What color eggs do they lay? I like color. What about free ranging hardiness and protection against predators?

My NNs lay every color egg in the chicken egg rainbow, and that includes ones with single combs, not just NN/EE crosses. They're VERY good at free ranging and my NN roosters are exceptionally alert and sound the alarm quickly at the first sign of a potential predator. All of my birds range in a fenced-in half acre yard and my roosters work together at protecting the hens. For hotter climates, they really are the perfect bird. I know their looks are unconventional in the chicken world, but their friendly, intelligent, and sometimes quirky personalities make up for it and you really do adjust to their appearance very quickly. Ask other NN lovers....they become an addiction and pretty soon you find yourself crossing everything with NNs, LOL!

My NNs lay every color egg in the chicken egg rainbow, and that includes ones with single combs, not just NN/EE crosses. They're VERY good at free ranging and my NN roosters are exceptionally alert and sound the alarm quickly at the first sign of a potential predator. All of my birds range in a fenced-in half acre yard and my roosters work together at protecting the hens. For hotter climates, they really are the perfect bird. I know their looks are unconventional in the chicken world, but their friendly, intelligent, and sometimes quirky personalities make up for it and you really do adjust to their appearance very quickly. Ask other NN lovers....they become an addiction and pretty soon you find yourself crossing everything with NNs, LOL!
I have taken inspiration from your post here and I am anxiously waiting for some of mine to start laying... I am hopeful for a free egg layer.

Hi
what a lovely layer!! she's beautiful! why don't you breed her to your Red Ranger and then take the best sons and breed them back to her. oh she's beautiful.
So thinking it was such a large operation perhaps what you have is a nice pullet from a coveted commercial line.
Best success,
Karen
Thanks. Cause I’ll probably take the best sons and eat them :lau or any of the sons really. That is a good idea though, might do it later on.
Yup, pretty sure that’s what I have.
Thanks.

Ok my big boy tree beard got a flock of lovely ladies
20171227_121004-1.jpg
here he is next to one of my turkens and you can see his size

He's impressive! And I swear he's smiling in this photo.
Oh yeah he is excited to have more than one girl! I figgure by my March hatch the girls in his pen will be fertile by him..I decided to set another bunch of eggs Dec 31st but it's too soon to think he will be the daddy of many this go round. I am happy that my favorite rir has been with his girls long enough to be comfortable that he will be the daddy, he seems to throw good babies with good dispositions. My Aug hatch the 2 girls from him and a welsummer were the first to lay and are laying about 6 days a week right now..... I am very happy with them.

I'm not really worried about frost bite. NC doesn't really have a winter. I have a few "breeders" around me that I would use, but they are crazy expensive and never really have what I want.

I have a woman trying to get me into NN. I just can't get over the look of them though. I had a couple of showgirls and didn't really like their personality. What color eggs do they lay? I like color. What about free ranging hardiness and protection against predators?
Don't be afraid of naked necks and cold, they are super hardy birds! And the look, Lol! Always thought they were ugly myself and didn't want them until I got a bunch. They grow on you and become pretty normal quick, and the chicks, none cuter than a bunch of naked neck chicks! And in my area no one I know has them so to me more rare than any fancy birds Greenfire farms has to offer, I see them on Craigslist all the time, never see naked necks here.
Cold? Second winter with them. Last yr I had a group in a dog kennel tarp roof, tarp three sides, one side open. Was supposed to be temporary but temporary turned into winter and shoveling snow out of it all the time and cold... They did great, no probs, and the group in a good coop no probs.
This winter we just went through what they called a 'bomb cyclone' had down to -17F and -20 to -30F windchill, all in good coop now well ventilated and always open pop door. They were outside everyday in it and no probs except minor frostbite on roosters comb, none on wattles and none on hens.
I have jersey giants also in another coop, have been reliable winter layers and I do have some young birds in that coop, no eggs this winter...
The naked necks were laying then nothing for a couple weeks now I'm getting some eggs again already!
They're awesome freaks of nature! Lol! :gig

Back
Top Bottom