BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Ralphie's birds are something! Inspiration definitely.
A NN addition will be beneficial IMHO.
Cooler birds in the summer less stress and naked necks I heard need less protein cause they don't put as much into feathers?
I had planned on crossing my NN' s to cx but haven't yet. I hadn't planned on a NN giant cross but am thinking I will. Think I'll put the giant rooster with the NN hens and the NN rooster with the giants. Then mark eggs keep track of chicks and see what/if which swapparoo makes nicer birds.
I'm thinking the cross might make a bigger bone sturdier bird for eventual crossing with cx.
Planning on a Easter day hatch with them.
I don't think the giant cock will squish the NNs, when I crossed him to silkies they survived Lol!
I don't think I've posted this here? If so I can't remember everything lol.
View attachment 1234133
Maybe I missed it but what breed is he?

The main issue I have run into and have read others having with large cocks, is that the large frame needs a lot of bone. Big frames don't always translate into lots of meat. It also takes more time for those large frames to grow and fill out.

I love big chickens. I've seen some impressive Giants and Brahmas. I would own some as yard candy, but not for meat or even dual purpose.

The main issue I have run into and have read others having with large cocks, is thaIt the large frame needs a lot of bone. Big frames don't always translate into lots of meat. It also takes more time for those large frames to grow and fill out.

I love big chickens. I've seen some impressive Giants and Brahmas. I would own some as yard candy, but not for meat or even dual purpose.
True, but based on my experience with Jersey giants it's just deceiving. Yes they grow their frame first then put on weight, but I'll bet they still have as much meat or more as any other heritage breed chicken. Its just that the body is so big you'd think they would weigh more, chicken bones don't weigh much. I've processed quite a few young birds and was never disappointed. I process all as soon as they start crowing and the giants have weighed as much as or more than the other breeds, though you can not fit them in a gallon freezer bag, and the other breeds fit. I think it's just deceiving thinking they should weigh more cause they are bigger.
Nine month cockerels resemble turkey legs and as far as the breast goes not plump and thick like a CX but they make it up in the length, and excellent meat. I would put money on they have just as much if not more meat then a CX (but of course CX are only weeks old)
Some people say they eat like hogs also, I don't think so. Mine don't eat much. They're not super active hyper birds, pretty docile and calm. Even in winter they don't eat any more than other breeds I've had.
They lay great also, and I've had them lay all winter with no supplemental light. IMHO they make great dual purpose. :D

True, but based on my experience with Jersey giants it's just deceiving. Yes they grow their frame first then put on weight, but I'll bet they still have as much meat or more as any other heritage breed chicken. Its just that the body is so big you'd think they would weigh more, chicken bones don't weigh much. I've processed quite a few young birds and was never disappointed. I process all as soon as they start crowing and the giants have weighed as much as or more than the other breeds, though you can not fit them in a gallon freezer bag, and the other breeds fit. I think it's just deceiving thinking they should weigh more cause they are bigger.
Nine month cockerels resemble turkey legs and as far as the breast goes not plump and thick like a CX but they make it up in the length, and excellent meat. I would put money on they have just as much if not more meat then a CX (but of course CX are only weeks old)
Some people say they eat like hogs also, I don't think so. Mine don't eat much. They're not super active hyper birds, pretty docile and calm. Even in winter they don't eat any more than other breeds I've had.
They lay great also, and I've had them lay all winter with no supplemental light. IMHO they make great dual purpose. :D

I might have to get some chicks from you. I'm always open and know there are always exceptions to the little I know. ;)

The boy in your avatar is impressive. What's his age?

I have one DC/CX mixed hen that I always planned to cross with my NNs, but she so rarely lays eggs that it's proven impossible to breed her. She's HUGE and honks like a goose, but in the past year she's only given me about 60 eggs and half of those she just dropped on the ground while she was walking to get food, resulting in a messy treat for the flock and few eggs for me. The few fertile eggs I managed to get from her all fizzled during incubation. At this stage of the game I'll probably just butcher her and move onto other crosses. I still like the idea of crossing with Jersey Giants and Brahmas, though I have major concerns about that Brahma in the hot desert environment I live in.

Right now I'm raising Lavender Australorp, Swedish Flower and Aloha chicks to cross into my flock as well as breed true. I'm tracking their growth meticulously so I can compare to my other breeds before making any crosses, recognizing that some of them just may not be worth the effort for my goals.

Frostbite has become a problem with my New Hampshires for the first time. I have had some minor issues over the years, but nothing more than the tip of a point or two on a large comb. The bitter cold hung around and has done some damage. Hopefully it won't affect fertility or the overall health of the birds.

Looks like a hatchery Plymouth rock to me? Could possibly have some leghorn in it. Any cx roosters I've seen that size are much broader/fatter and look like they're going to die not healthy like that.
I have had hatchery white rocks. They do not get that big? Assuming the bird is actually 14 pounds? Did you weigh the bird? Jersey Giant maybe?

Back
Top Bottom