BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    A friend asked me if I had plans to breed pure Buckeyes and the answer is yes, absolutely. We intend to try to work within the APA standard for this project.

We are up to out bald necks red necks right now with our NN conformation program but we have a quasi understanding with a breeder in Ohio that should provide us with a pair or better yet..perhaps a trio in early summer of and we will be also making plans to breed conformation quality Dark Cornish...not so far down the line.[​IMG]

2. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    The following e-mail arrived this morning, relevant to my assertion that chicks can be/are born with worm eggs. It does seen noncommittal.

I’m sorry for my delay. We had a rocky start to our semester here at WVU with some serious complications for one of my colleagues.

I have not experienced internal parasites associated with embryonic development, but it seems reasonable from the standpoint of other animals such as dogs having a similar issue. Unless perhaps the developing embryo typically does not survive due to the presence of the parasite.

I have tried to read some articles on the subject such as the attached link; however, I have not come across any information that would answer your question.
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

I will continue to look.

Thanks,

Joe

Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:58 PM
    To: Joe Moritz III
    Subject: parasites in newly hatched chicks

3. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    So how many breeds are you working with now? NN, Dark Cornish and Buckeyes?

4. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    So...it's possible, but the embryo probably won't survive the parasitic invasion? I hope that is, in fact, the case, because I'd rather the embryo die than be born with a parasite that could infect the rest of the hatch. If I were Mother Nature, that's how I would make it happen. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Those you mentioned ...they are all for special projects...meat birds and conformation.

As well as 10 birds that were kept from the laying flock, just for family eggs...2 NN cocks and three hens and 2 Australorp cocks and three hens.

2 people like this.
  6. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    @hellbender or anyone else
    would you please come up with a ten (ten or more years) step breeding program to maximize "Production for meat and eggs". I can't match "hellbender's" feeding method but type of feed can be included.

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this.
  7. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I think I'll kick this up to gjensen because he is far more liable to be able to have a plan already graphed out, if not on paper, at least in his mind.[​IMG]

8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:Boy, you don't have easy questions. Bwahahahaha I'll be watching also!!!!

9. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I think the first step to that plan would be to have a meat bird flock and an egg laying flock. Trying to ask for the most excellent meat and egg qualities in the same bird is asking too much of them. I think you can get satisfactory to great results with a dual purpose bird, if you have realistic expectations, but they won't be able to do both jobs superbly at the same time in the same chicken.

2 people like this.
  10. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    best -laid plans of mice and men oft go astray -

Don't think for a moment that your birds have no say in what you do. Breeding involves structure and control, but it boils down to rolling up your sleeves and going to work. Problem solving, because there will be problems to sort out. Flexibility because all of your best efforts will be challenged.

No one can give you a plan. It boils down to commitment, focus, and smart selection. There are a lot of breeding plans out there, but you will do better by being flexible along the way. You have to develop your own plan, and go to work.

The best plans in the world do not make up for poor selection.

Little by little, bit by bit. Patience and perseverance.

4 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by