BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:Wow, you are my hero. I'd love to have the youth and stamina and drive to put in an orchard. and total set up. I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, you know, money does talk and mine is pretty silent right now. One thing at a time. I had to put off putting the hardware cloth on the 2nd coop for the ISA Brown's because I got a smart phone. (SIL was nice to order it for me and deduct it from my acct and THEN tell me). ha Now I have to pay for putting an outside electrical plug in the storeroom and get my crazy XXX$$* computer fixed correctly this time. That's Feb money so ISA Brown's and EE's will be ordered in March. I am getting some fabulous crested cream legbar eggs from Pam in S La this month. The best. So I'm happy. It's trucking along. My little four chicks are in the storeroom, doing nicely. Two Marraduna basque and two Lemon cuckoo Orpingtons. They've learned the horizontal nipple container so I'm happy. Don't care for the fermented feed. I may wait on that a while. They are healthy.

1 person likes this.
  2. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG] I"ve been at it 4 years now--and made similar mistakes. I feel like I keep climbing a mountain that gets taller and taller. lol

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Thanks.

I feel like I am reinventing the wheel. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Yes, but must I "Climb Every Mountain"?

6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Hummm. If they have feathered shanks, I'd bet there's an Asian in the wood pile somewhere ...up close. I would keep an eye on that breeder. They might be excellent stock to play with, might be great producers and delightful to eat but I wouldn't play marbles with them!

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

Lots to be said for cross breeding the right stock.

I have to admit that because I only process a few birds at a time for my family, and by hand with not much more than a pot of hot water, a bigger bird with more meat is a better use for my time than a scrawny bird. ( Must be why I prefer to process a turkey. lol)

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

10. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I have chicks! Woohoo ... bouncing balls of fluffy cuteness hopping around in the brooder tubs!
    [​IMG]
    Along with my hatchery order of 25 GLWs and 25 "red broilers" to play with right now, in a couple weeks I may be getting some "culls" from Eight Acres Farm near Gainesville. Luanne said she was not going to keep the black-laced Wyandottes out of her recent hatch. She does the Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes, and has really typy-bodied birds, so this ought to be a "shortcut" to better build on future chicks. Ideal's latest email says they are already sold out for the entire month of March, so I'll likely place an order with Cackle to see how I like their GLWs. They also have cuter Silkies.

I'll elaborate later ... I am a bit tired after an eventful day. Chicks were originally due to arrive tomorrow, and we had two Cornish-Rocks still that our neighbor traded for a couple of barred chicks she said were too pretty to eat, and those CRs should have fulfilled their destiny two weeks ago. I told hubby I'd prefer these be our last CRs, and he says he is good with that.

ETA: last, not latest ... bleh. I just don't want to raise up any more.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by