BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks Ron. I have really enjoyed watching them grow they are huge birds. The first time I picked up the Buckeye cockerel I had never held a bird that heavy before he is solid and beautiful! I have been trying to wait on the pens to dry out on a weekend for pics but it is raining nearly every weekend here.

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    What a great post!!!!! I love your self sufficiency. The idea of sweet potato vines in the winter makes me wonder how you do it. A greenhouse? I'm in zone 8b and could grow a TON of them. I'm gonna try at least to grow a lot for canning and eating. Do you have the vines going all year round? Do chickens eat the leaves? For some reason I thought they couldn't. Hummm.

Well, I'm gonna be in and out for a while. The computer is going in the shop tomorrow and then my Dr's appt for knee surgery is on the 16th. They will do the procedure about the end of the month. Not looking forward to it but I'm so healthy except for this.

I've put off all buying of eggs and birds for the present. I'll just be a little later getting things started.

3. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    But how much heat can they stand? I have my coops in the shade but it still will get over 100 on days. Of course, I run out ice and sprinkle. They seem to be okay but I wondered about the northern birds.

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    @LindaB220 I am in SW AL. and my summers are like yours over 100 in the summer and my pens are in the shade. I do go out and spray my birds with the hose about 2-3 pm or give them a puddle or pan to cool their feet in and that is all I do. Mostly my Turkey love the water but they have showed the others to get in the water to cool off. Also the heat has not slowed their laying here in the summer.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    George, lost all my comments, heres the abridged version:

I can buy feed oats for $15/50#.

I'm willing to give amarathe a go-- you info is just a dose of reality. lol

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

7. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

9. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Always a possibility. I have used a subordinate male to breed with because he is such a terrific rooster, but I haven't seen a difference in temperament that I can correlate with having a father that was not the alpha male in the hatch group. It's like all the other hatches, some females submit willingly, others don't. I've also used an aggressive cock to breed with - only one of his sons turned out with the snarky temperament, the rest of the sons were quite nice and we still have two of his best looking sons who are not aggressive, and no problems from his daughters either. You know chicken genetics - they can do their own crazy things.

10. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    The hen won't be any better for being able to lay a wider egg. But if you're selling eggs, then having a wider, more aesthetically pleasing, *normal* egg shape would be preferred by most customers. The most important reason for having wide hipped hens is for their own health.

The wider the hen, the less chance of injury to the hen with stretched/torn tissues and less chance of becoming egg bound. And less chance of it being a somewhat deformed egg (long instead of normal width) if her body tries to compensate for having a narrow passage.

Same concept as women in childbirth. Women have a wider, more flexible pelvis to accommodate a baby through the birth canal. If the birth canal and other tissues don't stretch far enough, then mom's delicate parts can get torn and/or the baby can get stuck.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by