BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I have Partridge Pendesencas. They are great and take the heat very well.

My pullets from last year are finally starting to lay. I crossed a Crele Penedesenca back to a Cream Legbar x Crele Penedesenca to see if I could get a darker green, closer to an Olive color.

It worked! The egg on the left is a Partridge Pene and the one on the right is the new OE

[​IMG]

2. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana
    @ronott1 , didn't realize they gave a speckled egg!! Such pretty hens, the Penedesenca.

That is one green egg :)

M

3. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    These are two of the 5 I will be using as breeders this year:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Very pretty eggs Ron!!

I was thinking of moving my olive egger girls to a pen with a BCM to more of those lovely olives!!! Of course the poor boy currently in charge, an EE, would be very upset to loose his girls!! He guards them but good.

5. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    We plant all our sweet potatos the last week of May and harvest in Sept. All potatos are root cellared all winter but the vines are dried and baled like hay. So we don't grow them in a green house or out of season, we simply store them for winter feeding. The larger sweet potatos are for human consumption and the smaller ones and the dried vines are for the rabbits. I've never fed them to the poultry.

6. KittieChick

KittieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2014
    Wake Forest, NC

Hi Rachel, I got my first group of laying chicks last June. They're hatch date is June 25. The Delaware was the first to lay in November. The Black Australorps followed by about a week later. The Easter Egger came online in December along with the GLW.

Currently my Delaware has laid an egg daily for at minimum the past 16 days. The Australorps are close behind, and the EE is giving me a nice blue egg probably 5 out of 7 days.

I actually am planning a small well bred Delaware flock because of my little hatchery Del. I'm hoping the birds with the "blood" can outperform my little mutt! The egg is a lovely brown, and has a violet bloom, so some days looks pink and others looks purple-brown. I like my Del. the GLW I'm probably going to cull. She's pretty, but her laying isn't where I'd like it to be.

7. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    What's your bet for the best dark brown egg producers? [​IMG]

8. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Penedesencas because it is very hot here in the Summer.

9. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I'll let you know when my birds are finally old enough to start laying...LOL. [​IMG]

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Black copper marans-- depends on the line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by