BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Call me uneducated, but why would you toe punch?

2. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Too permanently mark birds. There's no hassle with leg bands or such, and there's 16 different combinations you can use and have them all different.

1 person likes this.
  3. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Caponizing is castrating a male chicken. Without the testosterone, the meat doesn't toughen up, they aren't aggressive - there is even stories of them rearing chicks - and they don't crow. That is, as long as it's a full capon, and not a "slip" where enough tissue was missed and begins releasing hormones.

I totally grok the idea that happy chickens taste better, and lay better eggs.

4. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana
    I just did this for the first time and it seems to be much like getting your ears pierced. No real bleeding....obviously hurts but they got over it very quickly. I used small scissors and slit the web versus punching a hole as I'd read accounts of the hole getting filled with debris. They were 3 weeks old; I don't know that it makes a difference to when you do it but I would think the younger/smaller the chick the easier it is to physically handle them. I was nervous as all get out but it went relatively smoothly and the next day there were no hurt feelings [​IMG]

M

5. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana

6. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

7. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    OH. I have too many birds for this! I like banding. I really don't do it until after a bit of grow out, so it's not much hassle. And I only band layers on every other rotation. That way I know who is heading out. I trap nest some and band them as layers for breeding. Those get the long luxurious life. I often let them stay on well past any function because I am bonded to them. Iknow this doesn't make business sense, but it is my nature. [​IMG]

Let's talk marking systems. How are each of you tracking breeders?

I band breeding stock. Each band has a folder with notes in it. Some of these get named and some just have numbers. Each breed has a different color folder (I buy pretty ones!). What can I say; I work for my husband who is a attorney! Filing is my thing!

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Bacon is a substitute for salt pork in recipes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by