BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    I've never had chicken feet. I never even knew people ate them until recently. I'm not saying I wouldn't try it, but I'm not saying I would!

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I am picturing my German Shepard trying to swallow one whole. LOL. We have a smaller mixed breed that would do fine with them.

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Yes Helbender. how do you prepare chicken feet for ingestion?

I'm headed to JoAnn Fabrics to get my batore divider! Genious!!!

4. antyler

antyler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Ocean View, HI
    I bought some plastic coated metal baskets at the dollar store to try.

5. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Baskets are the way to go. Purchased or hand made. Particularly if you want to hatch them according to an individual. They used to be called pedigree baskets.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    [​IMG]Have I posted this before? He is a UKC CH. and ARBA World Ch.

1 person likes this.
  7. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Different ways and in many kinds of soups. After scalding and removing the outer skin and chopping off the nails, I boil them, usually with gizzards, then dredge them in flour and fry them in a bit of corn oil...adding a big glob of butter about a couple minutes before setting them to serve.

8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    This will be my first year hatching off my birds so I have the parents with either a yellow or red zip tie on their ankle the chicks will be marked with a red or yellow and a blue zip tie to tell me what their parents are and what generation they are. I have a notebook with colored binder separates so that I can keep notes according to their color and breed.

I am hoping this will work.

I have two pair of Buckeye in separate pens one yellow and one red
    I have a trio of Chantecler

Then I am doing the same with my turkey's.

9. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    What a great thread. This is the sort of thing I enjoy reading yet it's so hard to find information of this caliber on this site.

Truthfully i have no desire to recreate the wheel. I Feel that wheel has had its day and we have progressed beyond its time. But I enjoy learning anything about fowl. and have learned quite a bit.

My experience with breeding has all been mainly with gamefowl. Which I haven't had now for quite awhile. But a lot can be learned from the old time gamefowl enthusiast. After all they are pretty much the only ones that have continued lines of fowl for centuries. Their methods are pretty simple. Line breeding, in breeding, withe the occasional infusion of outside blood. Blood that isn't of that exact line but of said strain. Then cross breeding for battle fowl. At times the crossing isn't even necessary.

Their methods of breeding are scoffed at by some. (Remeber our conversations at homestead site mr Jensen) but time and quality of ancient /modern day fowl speak for themselves.

When I have a moment I'll look up an article that will explain their method of breeding

10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I look forward to reading it Dead Rabbit. Thank you.

I will also look into getting some colored baskets that is a great idea. Thank you antyler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by