BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Being able to make comparisons is something that I like about having birds that came from different bloodlines and different color varieties. It helps me be able to figure out better what things may be in their genetics and past breeding and what has more to do with husbandry and current breeding selection.

2. alisar

alisar Chillin' with my Peeps Premium Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Temecula
    My Coop
    I'm going to chime in here - I wet down turkey gamebird starter for my chicks because it virtually eliminates pastybutt.
    An easy way to do is use a splash of ACV in a gallon jug of water set by the food so it's easy to prep twice a day - two scoops of feed on a paper plate, pour some acv water until oatmeal-like, then serve.
    I would love it if the ACV actually did add some probiotic benefit but the reason why I do it is because it cuts down on the smell dramatically and prevents the chicks from kicking the food around as much. We live in Temecula where the parcels are tiny - I brood the chicks outdoors until 4 weeks old before they go out to the farm. I don't want it stinking up the neighborhood!

1 person likes this.
  3. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

4. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I do this all the time. I've got multiple cut & paste Word documents on every subject imaginable...almost enough to make a full book. This thread, the two heritage breeding threads and several others have taught me a ton, and having it all organized in Word documents saves me lots of time when I need to recall something quickly. I highly recommend the practice. [​IMG]

5. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Comparisons are always good. Of any kind. Often we are making an assumption without a comparison. I think half of the fun is figuring things out.

6. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/backyard_flock.html

DC if you can find this book. I highly recommend it I've had a couple copies through my yrs. and it really covers a lot of info. I believe the author has died and the book isn't as available as it once was. The info in it isn't the run of the mill stuff you read on line or I in other poultry books. It takes you outside the box. This was what opened my eyes to the imagined value of fermenting oats. Compared to just soaking. Mr strecker was one that would go out under his roosting poultry and study droppings.

1 person likes this.
  7. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    There was too conversations there. One was being overweight, and the other was being over sized. The OP was referring to oversized birds, she is aware that overweight is not good. You are speaking of fat, she is speaking of size.

Fat to the point of backing up eggs? That would be an awfully extreme case. I have never heard of anyone having a bird that fat. That would be hard to do. LOL.

1 person likes this.
  8. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I have heard of some doing that, for that reason. What does the ACV do?

I largely eliminated "pasty butt" by adjusting the heat source, and managing the bedding. Some brooders are like deserts, and would dry anything out.

9. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    That would be one heck of a fat chicken! I know how to get a lot of true fat on a bird. That is easy. What isn't as easy is getting the birds to their standard weight and making sure that it is muscle weight, not fat or feather weight, so that they can fulfill their meat purpose while still laying decently enough, for those of us with real dual-purpose birds.

And now with turkeys coming this year for us, it will be interesting to see the differences between them and the chickens, and seeing how much different it is to balance the meat and egg production for the turkeys compared to our chickens.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've seen it in a few BO hens, wherein the fat deposits were so great around the vent and the eggs so big, that it was causing them to have prolapse when they laid. Usually those hens end up egg bound and that's what I would call "backed up". [​IMG] Never happened to any bird in my flock as they don't get to overeat and they get plenty of exercise, but you read about eggbound hens on here all the time and one has to wonder if the fat from all that pampered eating is what is backing up those eggs. What else could prevent delivery of an egg in a hen that previously had no problems?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by