BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I've got some alpaca fiber that I still have not finished carding that has been waiting for several years for me to finish - it is so snarled and has so many bits and pieces of vegetable matter stuck in it. But it was free and I just can't bring myself to throw it away. I've cleaned up worse sheep fleece so I can't give up on this bag of alpaca fiber yet. LOL. I want to have a few alpacas in the future for their fiber.

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

3. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    It is just a hobby. It is an enjoyable hobby though.

It does not matter when I started because I did not accomplish anything. I learned a lot, and that was part of why I did it.

I think we should just find what we think is worth messing with, and give it a go. If you have what you are working with now, in 20 years, you will have something worth something. Something to pass down and along to others.

It does not matter what it is if we can stick to it.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

5. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Don't recall coming across any specific herbs to repel wool moths. I've used cedar balls and pieces of cedar chopped off a board and that has done well. Could try tying up bay leaves, basil and oregano into cheesecloth and putting it in with the wool. I use those herbs to keep the buggies out of the feed bins - might help with wool. Could always try a strong peppermint essential oil packet too, like they sell for repelling mice.

6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Just as an aside...I'd rather have rats than mice because the terriers would have more interest in them...

*SHOCK and HORRORS* I just thought about the fact that I have two barns that are devoid of poultry or any sort of live stock for that matter. That is bound to promote mice infestation, since the dogs aren't in there.

I guess I can open the doors so the dogs can get in during this fine weather but I doubt the big dogs would have any interest in mice, since they are so small. Might have to rig up some of those 'peanut butter buckets'. Haven't used them in years but they DO work.

I'm not even going to wait for the first sighting........

We don't do any kind of rat or mice poison.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

8. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Lavender will help as well. Also, just taking the wool out a few times a year, tossing it around, and letting it rest in the sunshine for an hour or two will help. The moths don't like light and movement and typically settle on things that are in the dark and rarely handled.

We bought some alpacas last year at $200/head for their fleece, which reminds me that I need to get said fleece sold.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I agree...and often the quality of the stock falls because those getting into the new fad on the block don't have the dedication it takes to keep or improve the breed's qualities. You get folks wanting to cross it with this or that to make an interesting looking bird, or designer bird, to sell.

I find them a beautiful bird and worthy of preserving but I'm glad the breed that interests me no longer draws the fan crowds and the fad followers, if it ever did...it would be hard to watch it being marketed and shared about like a party favor.

1 person likes this.
  10. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Really nice photo. One eye on you....
    I think this is a lovely bird and worth pursuing if you love it!

So I feel you on this. The Cemanis were $3000 for a trio last year from GF. Now they are $350 a chick...

I am seeing this with my coveted Silver laced orpington. The market has finally broken from the $250 a chick and I admit to having purchased 3 at $100 a piece.

Call me crazy but no crazier than my hubby spending $150 on a game of golf!

I love chickens. I have a budget for my hobby each month and keep developing my fun. I should be able to pay for it all and turn a profit for more infrastructure by July with these layers. I have a buyer lined up and ducks ina row...or is that chickens.

Breeding has made my world richer. I am pursuing it with my type A fervor. First successful latch of my chocolates and I have some great mutts I am hoping will produce a better laying OE. Life is good

BUT my cat died traumatically yesterday. Bitter sweet times here on the farm and the circle of life continues...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by