BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    On the fibromelanistic/black meat chicken: Given the intensity and interest my future buyer of excess cockerels displayed when I first brought up the subject of a black-skinned chicken, I am going to have to try one myself. The lunch rush was just starting, but I had 110% of his attention after the words, "black skinned". No surprise, the family is Chinese. I joked about him using these birds in the buffet, and he took it very seriously. "Oh NO! This will be for us!" He told me soup is the best preparation. He also emphasized that he will buy any and all the black-skinned chickens I care to sell. "Don't sell to anyone else - talk to me and we'll work a deal out."

I don't even have the chicks yet! LOL But I do have the order placed and paid for. These are just "normal" Silkies.

3. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Kosher kings! Anyone?

4. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I can't wait to get a flock of fibro black meat birds going. Plan on saving all the wings to do up a big plate of blackchicken wings for a Super Bowl party, I bet it will be a hit with all those drunks Lol!
    Funny story, about 20yrs ago my father got a mixed roo to go with the few hens he had left after a weasel killed almost his whole flock of RIR and his roo. The roo looked and was the size of a RIR, had normal feet, he thought it was neat his chicks had five toes until he butchered a dozen of them and brought them over to my place. He said " I don't know what's wrong with them but your mom says we ain't eating them"
    I didn't eat the legs, they were black! But I did eat their breasts. The white breasts had a thin layer of black running through them but I was hungry and ate them anyway. Now that I know more about chickens I recently told him that roo he got must have been mixed with silkie at some point, they have black meat and five toes. And from what I hear they taste like chicken. It disgusted him so bad he hasn't had chickens ever since Lol!

5. Beer can

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    @dfr1973 The cemani/naked neck crosses (non NN) I'm getting should be a larger hardier meatier bird than the silkie. I'm going to be raising a flock for myself, but have thought I should contact the few Chinese families we have in this area and see if they are interested if I end up with more than I need.
    What were they going to pay? I have no idea what they are worth for meat. And did they want to butcher them themselves, or are you going to do it?

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Serve a baked or grilled fibro on halloween. Then wait for reactions!

So many won't even try.... and those who do try a bite admit it tastes good but they won't take another bite!

You should see their expressions as I happily eat the fibro meat... you'd think I was eating dog/cat/human... lol

7. dfr1973

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I am fussing with Silkies because I already planned to have them ("incubators disguised as featherdusters," I have called them), which is why I had asked my guy at the restaurant about best way for preparing them. We have not discussed a price yet. I am not inclined to do all the inspections and certification to sell meat, so they will need to slaughter themselves. I suspect that won't be a problem though. As for the price negotiation, I'll start off asking what they feel the birds are worth. I also speak barter.

8. dfr1973

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Don't forget the squash! Especially an orange one, like pumpkin. Black chicken and pumpkin soup is my planned meal this fall. [​IMG] Just wait until the in-laws get a gander at this ...

9. Beer can

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I was going to go with silkies before I lucked upon these, culls from a woman wanting them NN, these don't have it, she's only keeping the ones that do, and I don't want a NN, so it's win win for both of us. Plus she only lives two hrs from me. BYC sure is handy.

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

GREAT idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by