Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    all pullet eggs and 2.0 ounces would be the average for the Australorp.
    eleven pullets to select from and tail/back shape, both "bunny" and width could be the primary focus later in the spring after they are all laying.
    1 person likes this.
  2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    2oz is large, so as pullets, they are in good shape.

My Catalana hens average 2.5 oz. The pullets reach 2oz early, and are at 2.2 the first spring. I do not care for them to be any larger. I have trouble getting the hen's eggs into the incubator trays now. The egg shape and quality is good, so it is only a matter of not setting the smallest eggs and avoiding off shaped eggs. Maintenance so to speak. I am not interested in jumbo sized eggs. They are not the size and length of real Minorcas.
  3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

I just saw a post on the "black Swedish chicken thread" where someone asked if there was a standard yet. Answer was to breed as black as possible.

That is not a standard it is a color. There needs to be shape, weight, tail height, color of eggs and etc.

Also, no production is involved in breeding to a color. Of course the same thing happens in a lot of breeds now. Color is only one part of a standard. When and if a real standard comes out, Guaranteed there will be major faults that do not involve color.
    2 people like this.
  4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    good news about egg weight.

now to pick out the best two pullets and hatch from them only, might do that in April. My australorp line is fairly uniform but I can "see" differences. The Brahma pullets all look the same because I was only able to find one pullet in 2013 and they are all her daughters from the same male. I need better weather so I can sit by the pen and enjoy the culling process.
  5. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    The woman I'm getting my crosses from also has pure Cemani. She mentioned this, black is all they care about, black toe nails, tounge, heavy culling, no breed standards. She said she thinks its a big mistake.
    Sounds to me like what breeders did to the black Spanish, breeding for a exaggerated white face, from what I heard they originally were a good layer of large eggs and hardy, now their neither.
  6. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I was just out watching my pullets from Ideal ... there are three I have had my eye on, and someone in the tractor found a lizard perhaps (hard to tell what it started as before they turned it into a rugby ball) and two of the three I've been watching were all over that and in the thick of the Calvin-ball game, taking the morsel from several of the larger red broiler pullets and a couple suspected cockerels. I have also seen them jumping for bugs in the air. I like to see chicks trying to hustle some grub on the side - along with self-supplementing their feed, it is highly entertaining.
  7. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    In all seriousness, if you haven't written a review on here about the Catalanas then you should, and you should include most if not all of what you've said here about them. This is EXACTLY the kind of information that someone like myself looks for in a chicken breed review. Yes, the statistics about average weight and age to maturity, size and amount of egg laying, etc. are all important, but the information you supplied about personality and habits is equally important to many of us looking to keep a small flock for our personal enjoyment. Just my opinion....
  8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014

Here is the roo I am going to be using!!
  9. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    WOW!!!!! Gorgeous roo. Don't you just love roos? So luxurious in their coloring. Speaking of Roos...

I have a dilemma: I have narrowed my Olive Egger roo selection down to two boys.I need your thoughts

Roo 1: Great Cuckoo MAran markings- this is where I hope to get the dark brown for that really olive egg. Early to mature. He is already mating with the other hens. A bit of a small frame though. Also, he is pretty aggressive. Actually a bit of a terror, but I do need to cull some boys from the pen...

Roo 2: Large and boxier. Markings aren't very impressive. Is now mature just 2 weeks behind his counterpart. Much nicer and seems to get along with everyone. I think this would yield larger hens therefore bigger eggs. Really the size difference is very noticeable.

Both from same X of cucloo maran and americana. My goal is egg production and of course color.

Should I nail color first or production? Thoughts on choice? Help me out here seasoned breeders.
  10. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I did, but at this point, there really isn't any to be had so it doesn't really matter. A couple hatcheries carry them, but that is not really what they are, so I do not count them. I am not selling any.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by