BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    By all means call me up to standard!

These are cockerels.

I think I am going to "make my cake" and frost it later, although another member on the OE thread brought up the comb as an issue. The boxier boy has a straight and not a pea. So I'm thinking about it. What I'm really thinking about is constructing a grow out pen with haste! Then I could watch them a bit longer!!!!!

I have two little cockerels I'm taking our today....

2. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    No matter how you chop, slice or dice it, as far as I'm concerned, an adult male chicken will always be a cock and there is absolutely NOTHING politically or grammatically incorrect about it. [​IMG]

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I am intrigued by continuing the Maran but producing a green egg....hmmmmmmmmmmm

4. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    If my grandpa was still above ground, he'd argue with you just for the fun of it (yes, he loved his Missouri mules too!). He spent almost his entire life on the 200-acre Missouri farm where he was born. He took a couple years "off" during WW2 to tour the Pacific theatre and came home with a bride (also very German family name, natch) but he always said "rooster," so that is why I think it may be regional. FWIW, our county fair also uses rooster for a male chicken over one year of age.

1 person likes this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is not really regional as much as it is show world vs. farm world.

What I mean is that the designation of gender and age are more for categories in poultry shows.

My family in California called them hens and roosters. They were chicks until you knew the difference.

Of course we did not show chickens--we just ate them and their eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Rooster is absolutely correct as well !!! I really don't let it bother me too much but it just grates on my sensibilities when I see 'roo' being used.

Nothing I can do about it but using correct terms when dealing with any livestock will endow a speaker with a certain gravitas that will not be there if child-like terms are used.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

I usually say/type rooster but occasionally I take the short cut and type roo. I usually don't type cock but sometimes do use it vocally.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Awww, c'mon ... you had to at snort a little when you saw roo or (even funnier) roolet. The one that makes me roll my eyes is "freezer camp." I don't even "process" my birds until after I have properly slaughtered them first - they tend to make too much of a racket when I try to debone them live.

2 people like this.
  9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    TGIF!

Funny stuff--I enjoyed reading this post.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Mine is "re-homing"..... that just bugs so bad.. Cook the bad chooks instead! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by