BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    WOW! Just read the history behind Impressive, amazing how many offspring one animal can sire.
    We had a famous race horse living not to far from me, Spectacular Bid .At a farm in Unadilla NY, did a lot of deer hunting around that farm and worked in a bluestone quarry just down the road.. He was #10 in the top 100 US racehorses of the 20th century. Spectacular Bid sired 253 winners, including 47 stakes winners that won more than $19 million.
    He was one of the two most used for inbreeding Kentucky Derby winners in the last 50 years

2. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    The gene causes the condition known as HYPP----hyperkalemic periodic paralysis. Actually the gene is dominant, not recessive. That said, all heterozygotes are not symptomatic. They are designated as N/N, N/H or H/H. AQHA now requires that all registered horses with any Impressive breeding have hair samples pulled and tested, unless both parents have been tested and both are N/N.

1 person likes this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

Got my roo he is a handful.

4. Tammylr

Tammylr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    He's pretty though. Nice big legs and I can't really tell from this angle but looks like a nice big breast too. Very nice! Is he mean or just adventurous and getting into things? I had a hen who would walk straight up to me for pets and then bite me if I stopped the scratching! Not mean just needy!

5. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    HYPP is an incomplete dominant like the Frizzle gene in chickens. A double dose greatly affects the lifespan and quality. A single dose is "manageable" and there are still people purposely breeding the N/H horses. Why? I don't know, maybe ask the people who like Frizzles.

The truly frightening genetic disease in horses (not that a 1200+ lb HYPP animal randomly collapsing and having seizures isn't scary) is HERDA. At least to me the effects of it are pretty awful. Basically the skin sloughs off due to injury or pressure. It's typically discovered when a horse is started under saddle - apparently the skin on the back comes off with the saddle sometimes. Life expectancy is 2-4 years.

It traces back to Poco Bueno, a famous cutting stallion. The disease is recessive, so it wasn't found until line-breeding occurred.

6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    He is a nice big bird!! He is a sweet roo, but he is like Houdini. Very sweet to the hens and does the funniest little dance for them. He stomps and drags his wings and flaps and jumps around.

7. Tammylr

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    I had a polish crested that did that dance! He was always my favorite and the hens favorite too. There is something to be said for sweets roosters. I don't keep them if they aren't. Just name them Sunday dinner! [​IMG] he sounds smart if he is able to escape so much too. I understand why he is a favorite, frustrating but endearing at the same time.

8. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I'm not familiar with HERDA, but it does sound awful.

Like you said, HYPP is a genetic disease with incomplete or dominance in terms of the expression of the gene. An asymptomatic parent can have a symptomatic offspring. The primary reason that N/H horses are bred is that the gene for HYPP is associated with increased muscle bulk, so AQHA halter horse show classes contain more N/H horses than performance classes. The dilemma with the halter horses that are N/H is that alfalfa hay is used when getting them fit for show, and the elevated potassium in alfalfa hay can precipitate attacks.

9. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I love roos they are fun to own. Especially crowing I love when they crow!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  10. Tammylr

Jan 3, 2015
    North carolina
    I have always loved the crowing too. That and the "I laid an egg" song. They are so funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by