BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Roos

:oops::oops:

1 person likes this.
  2. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    I agree Beer Can. I have WAY too many cockerels right now with this genetic project I'm working on. Tired of the noise, I like my quiet. I need to get back down to less than 8-12... the only thing worse is guineas. Maybe that's why I love my rabbits, sheep and cattle so much. They are quiet (except the bull when I have heifers, so I rarely keep heifers).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    LOL! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Just touching base. Surgery is tomorrow. I'll check in when I can. :D

2 people like this.
  5. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Hope it goes well !!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I'll pray it goes well and you heal quickly.

1 person likes this.
  7. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    I used to work in the Quarter Horse halter industry. I've had a lot of experience with HYPP. We always kept bottles of calcium on hand to IV with a small bore needle when muscle relaxers didn't work. This was back before it was called HYPP. Later we started mixing the calcium with ringers and using a large bore needle. I've never understood breeding with a chance for HH. It's basically a death sentence. But I see both sides of NH. On one hand it's a genetic nightmare. On the other, you have entire breeding programs based on these horses. Putting aside the fact that they win more often (right or wrong), banning these horses would have ruined a lot of people. I'm no longer in the horse industry. I got to where I couldn't stand how the horses were treated as a commodity. I haven't kept up with the new rules or the HYPP issues. I lost my last horse 4 years ago and will probably never have another. BTW, my mare was not Impressive bred, but some of her foals were. None were ever symptomatic.

8. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  9. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I have a new set of chocolates in the bator. I AM looking at kinder Mates for my birds in this next grow out of offspring.. My current chocolate dances a little, but I think there is merit to this trait.

10. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Quote:
    We separate our males and females before they hit puberty, and they grow out separately until breeders are chosen. While we do sometimes see this behavior while they are in their bachelor grow out pens (generally prior to starting a sparring match), it is not as common until they are allowed to be with a female - which could be as long as a couple of years before they are allowed mate. We have not had any problems with getting vigorous males that are willing to mate, so we don't feel a need to use this behavior in the breeder selection process.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by