BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Yea and I hate anything nubian related
lau.gif
be stuck up at a show for about 12 hours and trying to ignore the airhorns (Nigirians) and the drama queens (Nubians)
roll.png
My earless aliens I adore though
love.gif
and the bucks get huge too, we got one not in rut around 170

Last butchering I did I made a cone out of a two gallon bleach container. I thought my Rada razor sharp filet knife would be enough, tree branch loupers worked excellent, took the heads off much easier. :)
Sure beat holding them down and using a hatchet.

Last butchering I did I made a cone out of a two gallon bleach container. I thought my Rada razor sharp filet knife would be enough, tree branch loupers worked excellent, took the heads off much easier. :)
Sure beat holding them down and using a hatchet.
I processed 6 tonight. I used a small set of pipe cutters. Cured with a straight edge blade. Very efficient. Blade to the neck bone side.

I remember the days of going to the state fair and getting penned near the Lamanchas. Fielding the thousand questions from horrified city people wondering what happened to them. I began to get creative, told people that goat ears were a delicacy in Canada. Our Nubians were almost ready to harvest, but the Lamanchas had already been harvested. Darned Canadians.

I butchered a hog on Friday, got everything finished up today. Cheated and skinned it, still have cured hams from last year, no need for scald and scrape. We did mostly sausage, a few roasts the chops and bacon. We rendered out some lard and gave some of the cracklings to the chickens. They love them, along with the hounds, of course.

I remember the days of going to the state fair and getting penned near the Lamanchas. Fielding the thousand questions from horrified city people wondering what happened to them. I began to get creative, told people that goat ears were a delicacy in Canada. Our Nubians were almost ready to harvest, but the Lamanchas had already been harvested. Darned Canadians.

I butchered a hog on Friday, got everything finished up today. Cheated and skinned it, still have cured hams from last year, no need for scald and scrape. We did mostly sausage, a few roasts the chops and bacon. We rendered out some lard and gave some of the cracklings to the chickens. They love them, along with the hounds, of course.
lau.gif
Both me and my father are guilty about the 'ear' thing...dad actually got a drunk to write down a recipe for goat ears and eggs.

Yes folks, in MS beer is served at our state fair
caf.gif

Beer used to be served at the VA state fair, one of the main attractions it seemed. WVA is a different story. They don't take kindly to foolishness. I once saw a man staggering through the crowd at WV state fair, then I noticed about six WV state police converging from different directions. Guy saw them coming and told them he was disabled and asked if they would like to see his papers. Felt bad for the guy, but I had seen others that were only temporarily chemically disabled yanked out of there by their ear. Totally different atmosphere.

That goat ear recipe is pretty awesome. I once went with the story that they were Russian, came from a place called Chernobyl. You think the ears are weird, wait til you see them pee in the dark. People bought into the delicacy thing much better, though, so I usually went with that. Silly Lamancha people should stay with their pens if they don't want myths surrounding their goats.

Baby animals are great ambassadors for the non-farming family members. My partner never goes out to the livestock area of our farm but spent a good hour snuggling with a chilled piglet yesterday to bring it back to life. He's even learned to accept that all animals eventually die on the farm.

Back
Top Bottom