BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Have never eaten beaver tail, but the meat itself is not bad. Reminds me of beef tongue. (I hate to waste meat, had some pork brains this morning from a barrow I killed the other day, I had already taste tested him last spring, though, I'll leave that for the experienced hog farmers to figure out!) I can see where a bunch of Canadians could get all hopped up on maple syrup and mistake nubian ears for beaver tails, though. One time I nailed a beaver tail to a tree, that thing lasted for years, and it would drip every time the weather warmed up, the base of that tree was a great place to find every possum that came through, just shine the light and there would be one licking the beaver tail juice. Must be pretty good, I'll have to try it. I suppose any goat ear recipe would work.

Have never eaten beaver tail, but the meat itself is not bad. Reminds me of beef tongue. (I hate to waste meat, had some pork brains this morning from a barrow I killed the other day, I had already taste tested him last spring, though, I'll leave that for the experienced hog farmers to figure out!) I can see where a bunch of Canadians could get all hopped up on maple syrup and mistake nubian ears for beaver tails, though. One time I nailed a beaver tail to a tree, that thing lasted for years, and it would drip every time the weather warmed up, the base of that tree was a great place to find every possum that came through, just shine the light and there would be one licking the beaver tail juice. Must be pretty good, I'll have to try it. I suppose any goat ear recipe would work.

Um, would I be out of line for asking why the beaver tail was nailed to a tree? Does it make maple syrup taste better?

Inquiring minds want to know...

- Ant Farm

Well, I know the "food" industry uses the excretions from Beaver butts to flavor a whole lot of processed foods. It supposedly tastes like vanilla. I just keep wondering about the first person who felt compelled to sniff a beaver's butt.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/10/02/beaver-butts-emit-goo-used-in-vanilla-flavored-foods.html

Well, I know the "food" industry uses the excretions from Beaver butts to flavor a whole lot of processed foods. It supposedly tastes like vanilla. I just keep wondering about the first person who felt compelled to sniff a beaver's butt.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/10/02/beaver-butts-emit-goo-used-in-vanilla-flavored-foods.html

So it DOES make maple syrup taste better!!! This just gets better and better all the time...

gig.gif

- Ant Farm

The comment in the article about anal or urine secretions mixing with the castoreum goo got me :sick

"Natural" flavoring doesn't mean from what you think, "natural" raspberry flavor isn't ness. from raspberries. I remember the horror when I first learned that!!!!
sickbyc.gif

I'm so glad you're going thru this process, Ant Farm.  I killed my first chicken when I was 13, and it was difficult.  I also feel lucky to have done it.  Don't get me wrong... it's still a struggle to kill certain animals.  But I also feel I'm better equipped to cope with death than most of my friends.  I've had friends who never faced any form of death until they were in their 40s and by that time they had no means of coping.  I'm not equating culling livestock to the death of a loved one, but most people do that to me when they say things like, "I love animals too much to kill them" or "If I had a hundred pigs (which I often do) they'd all be pets".  Life, death, and new birth are all equally important in the grander scheme.  Sacrifice and appreciation are also part of a rich life.  Money can be as scarce as hens teeth around here sometimes, but life certainly is rich.
Anthony   

Agreed. In addition, I find that I am much less likely to waste food or consume more than I need, knowing what goes into it (growing veggies or raising animals). With either veggies or animals or eggs, wasting food seems like such profound blasphemy - which it is, I think - it's just that it's more obvious/in the front of my mind. For instance, I don't make all the cheese I eat (sometimes buy from a local cheesemaker), but now that I know not only what goes into making cheese, but also how many gallons of milk are involved for a given amount, I find that I eat a lot less cheese, without having really made a conscious effort to do so. Same for meat.

- Ant Farm 

I personally was introduced to all the burtching at a very young age. Best I remember I was around 6. My dad believed in the yung'uns helping with sech things.

Chickens, rabbits, and many other critters. He had mama help with one of whatever we butchered then it was me and my brother ( when he reached the proper age) he's 2 years younger than be.

So yes we learned early where a lot of our food came from and learned to respect the meaning if life of living things.

I believe in putting things back into the earth from whence it came to renew and replinsh the nutrients.

Now I don't burger so much. I've got too much problems with my wrists. Aldo finger problems trouble gripping things and pulling really bother therm. I've got a killing cone that helps but the cutting up and cleaning the carcass really hurts way too much.

Then there's the providence if finding someone to help with it. Wifey poo will not do the deed. When she can she helps with the cleaning and cutting, but she too has tge wrist problems I suffer from.

Last edited:
It's just beaver castor, they use it to waterproof their fur and to mark territory. Makes a good lure ingredient, almost everything is attracted to it, It actually smells good, in small doses. Probably a lot better for you than some of those unpronounceable ingredients in a lot of things.

So, yeah, nailing a beaver tail to a tree, just one of those spontaneous things, seemed like a good thing to do at the time. Had an extra roofing nail, a hammer and a beaver tail.

Back
Top Bottom