BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

RON will be back on US soil tomorrow after noon. Can't wait to hear about the wild hog hunts he went along on. Even at his age, he's still a lot of man but I hope he stayed in the vehicle and let the dogs and young bucks take all the risks.
highfive.gif

Turk
Amen to that ! Bolt hole secured , I'm sure.

I received a forwarded email today, stating that 26 Dark Cornish cockerels will be shipped to my address and they should arrive Wed or Thur. These are to be the fodder for my caponization education. I was dreading this prospect but now I'm looking forward to it, especially with my new 'project' coming together.

Dad was going to bring me 25 of his 'best' young Turken hens for the project but thankfully, I had Jason talk him into reducing the number to 6 or 8. Surely I can find a couple or three likely prospects from that number. I'm not interested in eggs but rather am going to work in conjunction with dad and Jason on producing 'special' meat birds for my household...nothing commercial.
what extra eggs I cant easily give away can be boiled and fed right back into the flocks.

Mr. Jimmy sells eggs to his church congregation so I suspect any over-flow wind up there.

Turk

RON will be back on US soil tomorrow after noon. Can't wait to hear about the wild hog hunts he went along on. Even at his age, he's still a lot of man but I hope he stayed in the vehicle and let the dogs and young bucks take all the risks.
highfive.gif

Turk

Yea!!!! He's home then. Tell him hello. Hope you can tell some stories.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Not quite home...he's in NYC for a few days...Jason will drive to Pittsburgh airport to pick him up, I think Saturday. I will certainly tell him you said hello.

When he gets here (to Louisville) I will begin to apply pressure for a youtube installment!!!

Wonderful. Now is the time. My 6 roosters are 7 wks old but not real big yet and the other 6 are 3 wks old. Not even talking about the females.
lau.gif

The 'sacrificial' Dark Cornish cockerels arrived today! All very healthy, thirsty and hungry. I'm really going to give the caponization lessons my ALL!!!

There is absolutely no reason why we should have to depend on my dad or my Brother for capons. Perhaps down the line, I'll try to go for the poulardes but right now, a good foundation in capon techniques will set us in good stead. Raphael is also enrolled in the clinic
hugs.gif
and that will make it fun if not even funny!!!

The chicks won't be old enough for the birthday event on 8/30 so I assume dad will (hopefully) stay for a while or return a few days down the line. I can't see him driving back, (11-12 hour round-trip) after all the traveling he will be trying to get over...

But he is anything but predictable!
old.gif

The 'sacrificial' Dark Cornish cockerels arrived today! All very healthy, thirsty and hungry. I'm really going to give the caponization lessons my ALL!!!

There is absolutely no reason why we should have to depend on my dad or my Brother for capons. Perhaps down the line, I'll try to go for the poulardes but right now, a good foundation in capon techniques will set us in good stead. Raphael is also enrolled in the clinic
hugs.gif
and that will make it fun if not even funny!!!

The chicks won't be old enough for the birthday event on 8/30 so I assume dad will (hopefully) stay for a while or return a few days down the line. I can't see him driving back, (11-12 hour round-trip) after all the traveling he will be trying to get over...

But he is anything but predictable!
old.gif

Why did you choose Dark cornish? I bet they will be good.
droolin.gif

Why did you choose Dark cornish? I bet they will be good.
droolin.gif

We ordered 50 Dark Cornish a while back to fill our freezers for the coming winter and they won't be too long on this world, before we start the finishing phase.

I didn't buy these last chicks...It was actually a bit of surprise to hear they had been ordered and sent to our address. Jason ordered them at dad's behest, after HE had decided I (we) should know how to do the deed.
idunno.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
Gotta' love the Ol' Man! It is usually Dark Cornish capons that we have been pilfering from dad's freezers at every opportunity...even sending request for some of them to be shipped here...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom