BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Buy you a toe punch. They are cheap. And experiment. You can also incorporate both punching and cutting on the same bird.
I quite punching and went with cutting
So would 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide be good?
I'm having chicks hatch tomorrow so need to get this info.
smile.png

Thanks MK

Sure that would work. But to be honest I never could get it to be that neat and precise. I found it easier to just take the entire web out from toe to toe all the way back to the V of the toes.

First few will be difficult and cumbersome. But you will get the hang of it. Day old the skin is real thin and will roll somewhat when cutting proving it more difficult. At a couple days old the skin is thicker and easier to cut....if that makes sence. But the chick is stronger harder to hold. Cause you have to hold chick and with two fingers of same hand keep thei little leg extended. Toes spread and use scissors with opposite hand.
If you have help it will be so much easier and quicker

Realize there is a hint of blood and the chick will protest but I've never ever had any have any problems from this procedure. That's with hen raising with chick on dirt. Orr with raising in brooder box on hardware cloth it heals in a couple days

With taking entire web out there is no regrowth of the skin. And u can see their markings clearer from a short distance. With punching or tiny notch you have risk of either re growth or even not clearly identifying the bird.
If you free range your fowl and they are somewhat wild or feral you will never be able to identify them up close cause you will never get within a dz feet of them till they are caught

Realize there is a hint of blood and the chick will protest but I've never ever had any have any problems from this procedure. That's with hen raising with chick on dirt. Orr with raising in brooder box on hardware cloth it heals in a couple days

With taking entire web out there is no regrowth of the skin. And u can see their markings clearer from a short distance. With punching or tiny notch you have risk of either re growth or even not clearly identifying the bird.
If you free range your fowl and they are somewhat wild or feral you will never be able to identify them up close cause you will never get within a dz feet of them till they are caught

No thankfully only like one is free range because it is always getting out!!!!

For a small operation u may want to consider colored bandettes. Notching and punching is a good method for a breeder that keeps large numbers and raises large number of fowl. Where there are many lines of a single family of fowl. Especially with free ranging fowl. That you won't put hands on again after turning loose for a number of months.

I would suggest colored bandettes and just change them a couple times as they grow. After culling till they are to point of lay then use wing bands for your potential brood fowl

Meanwhile, I don't do dry heat very well ... I tend to want to dig and build fighting positions with proper overhead cover for the mortar rounds at night. I spent most of 2003 in Kuwait and Iraq. You could tell who was from the SW desert over there ... they said it felt like home, and didn't seem to be bothered until the temp hit 120F.

As for Hellbender's comment earlier ... sounds like someone visited down here around Labor Day, a few years back. I'll still take the humidity over dry heat.

For what it's worth, thank you for your service, and I'm glad you made it back safely.

I do fermented feed. It REALLY cuts feed cost.

First, birds don't over eat because they feel fuller faster from the water drenched food.

Second, the live cultures in the food really keep their gut going, assuring they get the most out of the food

Third, I like that I can add herbs to the feed for parasite control, since I range my birds.

Fourth, if you buy food with heavy grains in it the soak helps break down the seed coat which is really healthy and allows for greater consumption.

thumbsup.gif

I've tried to ignore this but I just can. You mention that the fermented feed cuts cost and I know it does ....but at what trade-off?

I tried a group of youngsters on FF last year and it's true, they don't eat nearly as much as my other birds did. However, the birds fed FF essentially failed to thrive. I'm glad I started them out right for the first two months because I feel that some of them might not have made it.

So...I can say I tried it but I'll never do it again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who is interested: Daughter has agreed to take some pics of her hybrid chicks when they feather out a bit more. One of them in not Naked Necked, but that's fine and dandy. I think it's going to be a nice big pullet. These are all big hefty chicks...just what I had hoped for.

Jason took a few pics of the farm that he asked me to post so here they are. It's still pretty cool here (about 22* F) but the sun is beautiful! Supposed to get down to negative 7*F tonight/early tomorrow morning. None of these are of any significant meaning or importance...he just liked what he saw, I guess. lol

I've tried to ignore this but I just can. You mention that the fermented feed cuts cost and I know it does ....but at what trade-off?

I tried a group of youngsters on FF last year and it's true, they don't eat nearly as much as my other birds did. However, the birds fed FF essentially failed to thrive. I'm glad I started them out right for the first two months because I feel that some of them might not have made it.

So...I can say I tried it but I'll never do it again.
With me I have a increase in egg production and the young ones that i have right now are eating a tray full of food every day while last year at the same age they would just pick around in the same only unfermented food.
hu.gif

With me I have a increase in egg production and the young ones that i have right now are eating a tray full of food every day while last year at the same age they would just pick around in the same only unfermented food.
hu.gif

Same here. My young ones have increased vigor, better weight gain and faster feathering on the FF. The wet feed seems easier for them to digest and , as it is predigested, they seem to get more out of it, as opposed to regular feed that mostly ends up on the brooder floor as poop. Most folks report the same good results, so it may be a case of YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom